Engine won't crank. Oh joy!

So the KADE won’t crank. I drove it to work one morning with no problems, came out at the end of the day and tried to start it, no dice. Wound up push starting it and runs flawlessly after that.

So, while trying to start it up the normal way there is no sputter, doesn’t even try to turn over. The fuel pump primes, I’ve got plenty of battery power and I can hear a relay, I think, clicking in the engine bay so everything up to that point seems to be working properly. What else can I check?

Thanks,
B-Wurm :smiley:

You should probably consider replacing your starter.

The same thing seems to happen to every single car I own; you try cranking it, but all you get is a nice click from your engine. Everything else is fine, except the damn thing won’t crank; just click.

I dunno about changing one on a KA, but if it’s like all the other starters I’ve replaced, it should be an easy fix.

Probs the starter. I think that’s what happened to the S14.

Try banging the starter with a hammer.

Also you can try turning the key from the on to start positions a number of times, if you can’t see your starter or don’t know where it is it should work.

Id bet the start is pooched, put up a WTB ad im sure someone should have a spare.

yeah it’s the starter, exact same thing happened to me 2 years ago, changed the starter with a bosch or napa one, runs like a champ. . . very easy to change . . .

Yeah, I just replaced it today and I know the one I put in there works, but no luck.

Can relays be effed but still make noises? Any way to check 'em?

man my hyundai clicked and wouldnt turn over cuz the battery terminals were shitty and coroded,so i charged the battery and changed the terminals and it started.

Mine did the same, the magnets in the top of the plunger(right word?) where paper thin. I’ve got a spare starter, 50 bucks, plus cost of greyhound.

if you hear relays clicking… try cleaning up your battery terminals (specially grounds) and the place where the ground is bolted to the chassis. your problem has happened to me quite a few times with other cars i had

So it seems the current suspect is the ignition switch. Looking at the wiring diagram for the starter system I’ve deduced that the circuit comes off the positive terminal of the battery through a fuse (which I’ve checked) then up to the ignition switch and down to the starter solenoid.

There are also interlock and clutch interlock relays included in the diagram, but if I’m reading it properly these appear only in the US version. Hence why I am able to start the car in gear :lol:

So how’s my aim?

i’m not too sure what the “clutch interlock” is but i thought that the 240’s had a clutch bypass so that you don’t need to press it in to start the engine. . . that’s what i was told and i don’t need to clutch to start mine. . .

interested in this interlock thing tho . . .

After a quick internet search it seems that Canadian cars weren’t required to have a clutch interlock switch (it makes you push in the clutch to start the car) until sometime around 96-97. The american cars have had them since 91 though.

So it seems that it must be the ignition switch. It’s the last place to check before I start a murderous rampage…

Okay, it may be your ignition switch but first of all, try charging up the battery and cleaning the terminals as already suggested. If it has just enough voltage to click but not turn over it very well could be the problem.

Baring that, its probably the ignition switch.

You are correct only US models of S13 have the clutch safty thingy.

The ignition switch could be the problem but also to double check pull the starter of just take a screw driver and jump the solenoid. Basicly take a wire from the battery right to the starter and solenoid. if the starter turn over its your ign switch.

Well I’ve pinpointed the problem but haven’t solved it. It was the ignition switch. I jumpered the starter wires under the steering column and it cranks :E

So, anybody got the electrical part of the switch? It would seem I don’t need the tumbler or anything, just the part containing the switch.

that’s happened to me once, the relay to the starter was disconnected(bumped loose). That’s odd that u changed starters and still won’t work.