engines

I got the money up to buy a engine. I’ve been thinking about what engine to get for some time, I’ve been thinking about a sr20,rb20, or a rb25.

I would like to know if someone could tell me a good place to buy one of these motors.

Any help would be get.

Thanks
-Steve

SR20, go to son240sx.org and look for varun “slipperysilvia” and Sasha of Sequence Garage to hook you up with everything you’ll need.

CA\RB FTW!! be different and you’ll enjoy more.

yea…i went sr20. its a great reliable motor but if i could do it again id go rb20. the swap will cost you alot more but in the long run i thinkid be worth it…

its all up to you tho. figure out what you looking for and then choose the engine that best suits your needs

RB20 will make you front heavy, a V8, SR, or CA swap, or a KA-T swap will net you the same or more gains for the same amount of money, while retaining a better weight distribution.

Don’t just “do it to be different”, have a purpose and goal for your swap. By the time you do an RB swap PROPERLY you’ll be looking at the same amount of money to build a SOLID very potent power plant out of any one of the “regular” 240 motors.

RB will make your front heavy? LOL …well it does weight abit more, but this
weight is not that enormous. i think that KA24de weights apx. same as rb20det…
i know many ppl in the states running RB engines and they totally LOVE it.The only problem that it’s very hard to get
parts, since the RB never had an USDM platform. other then that it’s a great engine.

CA- slow … with a t28 and bigger injectors ull be a little faster than an sr
RB- not worth the trouble
SR - faster than the CA and more potential and cheaper to upgrade than the rb.
KA - better than SR , parts are cheap and always available … problem is tuning… but u can get a used jim wolf /enthalpy ecu for $300 and an safc2 and ur set.

Rebuild the KA and boost > sr ,ca,rb20

Well u can get the sr20 , rb20 , rb25 , ca18 almost at every jdm importer.
A good place to get them? - Well not all engines are good … atleast 10% (maybe more) of the motorsets are bad.

Get ur self a compression tester and go to some of the importers and test compression on the engines.

CA slow??? LOL search before you post something like that.
rb is way better then KA and sr…ka wasn’t made to be turbo charged
…unless it’s a build up engine…turbo on a stock ka will be good for not
more then 6 months. That’s when all the problems begin.

if you’re looking for something normal swap an sr.
goodluck.

going from a NA ka to Ca18 … u will find the ca faster because u have boost now.

after driving a ka-t , sr , ca … the ca was definately the slowest. Not hating on the ca , just stating the facts.

Yes, extremely

It’s not about the total amount of weight of the engine as much as the amount of overhang before the front crossmember. The overhang on the KA is small and the overhang on the CA is far less. The overhang on the RB is HUGE with 2 almost a full three cylinders hanging over the front of the crossmember. When you hang the weight in front like that, then the resultant distribution is thrown off at an exponential factor, and the front end usually feels heavier than it actually it. There are two ways to throw off this bad effect. Either push the engine back more or make it AWD. Two things the Skyline have done in various models, but it is not so possible to push the motor back so far in the S platforms.

No it does not.

SR would be the usual option, not a bad motor (aluminum block) many available parts. The Easy Way Out in terms of tuning and after market support.

CA would be an old school option from the usual crowd, but a very powerful and high revving motor (iron block) which can withstand more redlining than an SR. Remember, this was a very expensive block manufactured by Nissan which was much more expensive to produce than the SR…it was replaced to keep production costs down :wink: so it’s sophisticated in it’s own right. Also the CA is always referred to as the RB of all Nissan 4’s:)

RB motors are amazing, I’ve seen people drift in RB engines, regardless the size of the motor from RB20 - RB26 etc… so anything is possible even with that huge weight change/difference talk. & NOTHING BEATS THE SOUND OF A SCREAMING RB I6!! :smiley:

The RB is a CA motor with 2 extra cylinders on the front.
They use the same flywheel and clutch as the RB as well as the VG30DE. Not the VG Twin Turbo though.