what engine to get?

ok. i am new to 240’s and have only worked on them a tiny bit. now that i am looking to get one i know that i want to swap the engine. originally i was thinking a sr20, but i wouldnt mind the extra 2 cylinders in the rb20’s. and also the price of rb20’s are quite a bit cheaper(close to $1k) so i was wondering is it harder to swap an rb? will i need more parts for an rb? and what engine would you recommend?
info:
a mechanic will be doing the work.
i am asking now because i need all the parts ready so i wont be without a car for long.
the car will be used as a light daily driver.

thanks in advance.

http://www.son240sx.org/showthread.php?230085-S13-S14-240sx-1UZ-FE-V8-Conversion-Kit

no thanks

lol londonmax…

Okay first off an RB20 is a downgrade from an SR20 or KA24. If you want RB swap go RB25, both are cheap but RB20 has limited potential. There are lots of detailed ‘how-to’ threads for this swap on nicoclub and 240sxforums. Buy a used mckinney kit and hit up GTRC for long blocks and part outs. Im pretty sure you use the stock engine and transmission 240sx crossmembers just drilled out if you dont want to spend the extra on something that looks alittle cleaner and is probably abit more durable.

www.mckinneymotorsports.com

2JZ *****

no 2jz lol. and the only problem with the rb25/26 is that i would need a new drive shaft. im not looking for to much power from my engine maybe a little more in the future. but i was under the impression that rb’s are more durable (in stock form, or with light mods and bolt ons). but thaanks ALOT for the information!! i didnt know rb25 swaps were that cheap, ill consider that now!

Lsx?

no im really deciding between the two posted above. maybe a rb25 if i could get my hands on a used driveshaft

this whole rb20 is a downgrade from an sr or ka is bs man unless you are looking to make 400+hp which your probably not id go rb20 instead of the rb25/26…but then again i do have an rb so im biased i guess,all in all id make the choice yourself man,not a bunch of bloggers hahahah

ya thats true. and everyones opinionated. im looking for durability and im on somewhat of a budget (about 7500-8500) for the car and engine installed. but i would just need to find a shop that could install an rb, because its a little bit of a custom swap, some parts would need to be fabricated.

honestly, at the very end, once ur engine is reliably running, you have all the necessary support parts on the car, the sr20 is cheapest engine swap. I know a few that have gone the rb20 route because it seems cheaper, but all the reliability problems, and little mods you have to do to get it to run properly and efficiently aren’t worth the hassle.

Plus, someone with little knowledge but some time and space could easily drop a sr into their car no problem. I at the time did it with just step by step instructions and a 14 year old cousin, i hadn’t worked on engines at all before that point.

But its your choice.

I hate SRs cos every one has them and they are a first choice for anyone with an s13 and wants more power.

That said there’s a reason its the first choice like what Gyani said its easy and in the end the cheapest. a few wires need to be cut and changed other than that your plug and play. I am going the KAT route as very few have it and ill tell you its not easy or cheep even though it looked that way at first lots of little mods are needed to get it to work.

Rb is an awesome engine i love the look of them in an S13 wish nissan just dropped them in from the start. they are also not as common as the SR. So yeah you’ll do more work pay more and have what i have a little more rarity. my suggestion is go stock SR. It has the potential to create lots more power in the future but is easy to start and get into.

Rb20’s sound amazing in comparison to a sr20.

I have an rb20, its given me a few problems nothing serious. I wouldn’t call it a “downgrade” from a KA.

Its really up to you, everyone will have a biased opinion. You can’t please everyone, so just build a car the way you like it and enjoy it.

thank you so much for the info guys! helped me out alot!!!

i have had all three engines… SR>KA>RB reason … weight … reliability … its not easy finding parts for rb without huge downtime.

mazda k8de. 1.8l of v6 fury. direct bolt in too.