RB20DET swap?

hey im looking into getting a RB20DET in to my 1992 240sx hatch…since i have no clue how to do this i’m not gonna try to…does anyone know who does this type of swaps? coz i called a few places and not many knew abt these engines…so i’m looking for someone who knows wut they r doing…and how much do u think the labour would cost?? i can get the engine under $1000…how much would the other parts besides the engine cost? thanks

http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10661

http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27024

http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/products

READ…

Many people have different opinions as to what engine is better or if its even worth installing it in the 240sx. Its up to you to decide this.

many videos on youtube…just search for RB20DET…

Hope this helps.

Well, I’m not a fan of it. In the sence that I’ve got a lot of experience with RB series motors. It takes quite a bit more effort and fabrication that an SR does, which can be a bit of a pain in the butt (caused by lack of money in the wallet)

But the end result is a silly fast and fun 240 that will sound awsome. If you’ve got the balls and the bling go for it.

thanks a lot for the detailed description…helped me a lot…i still wanna know has anyone done a SR2ODET swap? i know a lot have…how much did it cost? (labour cost) coz i jus wanna have a rough idea so that i know where i’m going price wise…also has anyone done a RB20DET swap? and how much was that…the labour cost? i wanna know all these coz i’m not gonna be the one swapping the engines i wanna find someone who can do it for me…so if anyone knows how to do it lemme know we can work something out $$$.

if you’re not swapping the motor, be prepaired to pay 600-1500$ in labour alone.

motor, mounts, exhuast, wiring, you will need electric fans on any rb, intercooler setup, and anything else i am forgetting.

not swapping the motor? i wanna swap the motor…i jus wanna get rid of this high milage motor and put in a new one so that i can run for a longer time…if i can put in a SR20DET or RB20DET doesnt really matter now i guess…wut matters is jus putting in a basic engine and other componenets like auto transmission etc etc if i can keep the old componenets and run with them for a while that will be good…and how much the labour would cost if the current car has a KA24 stock engine in it.

go with the sr20, you can do a clean install with all the parts you need for about $3500 + labour, everyone and there mother has done the swap.

Although the rb will net you more power for less money (due to GTR injectors as drop ins and a t3 turboflange) it will cost you more in the longrun to install.

Another option is the CA18det, you should be able to pick up a CA and have it installed for quite a bit less than a SR20, it’s still turbo, has slightly less power, but you can walk into a Canadian tire and get parts as the pulsar shared similar motors.

As for keeping componates, unless you have access to a RB/SR/CA bell housing you need the appropriate trans, if the car is turbo, you need atleast the stock sidemount ic.

your best bet is to buy either a SR or CA front cut as you will have all the parts to do your swap

CA’s are difficult to find. You may have to get a FWD ca and convert it to rwd which is fairly easy. But none of the major motor importers in toronto have or can get ca anymore… so I couldn’t tell you where to look.

cool cool…so sounds kinda expensive…i saw a RB20 for under 1000 so that got me all hyped up…but seems like the installation iand modification is expensive…so might settle for a SR or even a stock KA24 …i dunt want a super car…a car with 155 HP ( KA24) is good enough i guess for now…are KA24DE engines available? where is the best place to look for one

my buddy has a complete ka24de he is selling. He swapped a new motor in. It has somthing like 155000-165000 km on it. The car was an auto so the engine has not been beat on. it also came from a 92 hatch
pm me if your interested.

im in on this i also want to do the same swap, has anyone here done an rb20 swap into an s13 before? i wanna know the part list and cost if available, i got $6000 for this project it better do, i wanna know the prospesct of why an rb20 is better than an sr, in drag racing, i aint doing no circuit, i just want a stupid fast 240,i think a straight 6 might be better for my application.

it’s no better, it’s heavier, both motors are restricted to around 400hp due to heaed deisgn. Both maxed out on stock injectors and turbo will produce the same power, as the stock rb20 turbo is identical to the sr tuebo, just with a t3 flange

rb20
-over the head design intake makes for long piping
-front facing plenums are $1000 even for knock-off
-uses top feed injectors, ca/gtr drop in with resistors
-t3 turbo leaves the door open to cheap upgrades
-close to 300hp can be had with a newer rb25 turbo bolted on
-ecu is easy to chip and tune, makes a power fc useless really
-if you want a power fc they’re SUPER exspensive as they are hard at best to find
-heavy
-need electric fans
-motor mounts and possible driveshaft

sr20
-bolts in, designed for the car
-same displacement, lighter than rb20
-side fed injectors
-front facing plenum (short ic piping)
-dont need electric fan

etc etc etc

really the better value is the sr20, there is really no reason to put a rb20 into a s13 other than to be “cool”

and to get 400hp out of a rb20 or sr you’re talking a lot of cash. Bottom line, get a realistic goal.

i have a CA18det in my 180 id be willingt part with for the right price
car is well over 400hp at the hweels(124mph) trap speed i sell it complete wiring computer trans etc pm if interested

if he gets the motorset for $1k and spends $3k installing it… the rb20 is still cheaper than the average sr swap…

I say do it, sure it will take longer and require more thought, but in the end you have more potential and the potential to save a lot of money if you spend wisely

the main reason i like the rb20 is 1 its a 6 cylinder, it has a wicked engin tone, sr, just sounds raw, no real tune to it, the rb has a nice tone, if i do an rb swap i most likely do only front mount ic , 4" exhaust boost controler all the other electronics, and a better blow of valve, i would do any turbo upgrade leave the enging stock with light mods, want it to be also reliable. the rb motor is cheap the mounts are pricey and the labour, thats about it.

if you do 20 you don’t need motor mounts, a drive shaft or any other fancy jazz… just someoen who can do the wiring, and a shop that feels liek swappign crossmembers… fyi i do wiring haha, and am sellign an rb25

200zr ecu or go standalone