ErnGotti's 05 MSM

Alright, a couple of you know I just picked this up Sunday in Jersey. The guy let me drive it back on his plates hence the yellow tags. Spent $14,250 on it. Its a 2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5. It (now) has just ticked 26k miles. I have the window sticker and it cost just over $27k new.

OEM stuff:
1.8L DOHC Turbo (NON-VVT-the head from the 2000 Miata was used on this engine to eliminate Variable Valve Timing)
Mazdaspeed full recirculation turbo kit
Mazdaspeed lowering springs
Bilstien Shocks
Mazdaspeed “enlarged” exhaust (its not mandrel bent, though :blubber: )
Mazdaspeed limited slip differential
Mazdaspeed door sills, pedals, floor mats & badges
Mazdaspeed front & real lip kit
Mazdaspeed F&R Sway Bars
Mazdaspeed upper front strut tower bar
Mazdaspeed logo silver face gauges
Mazdaspeed Oil filler cap
Body-colored Rear View Mirror
Black Mica paint
6-speed close-ratio gearbox
GT Package with black leather/red stitching
Custom Racing Hart wheels specifically designed for the MSM (Mazdaspeed MX-5)
Toyo Proxes RE28 tires (first thing I did was order those Hankooks I bought for the Honda, for this)
Headlight & Taillight bezels
Smoked Headlights
Silver painted Calipers & strut bar
178 bhp @ 6000, 166 ft-lb @ 4500 from Mazda
…Full boost at 4k…
Dyno’d by SportCompactCar at 152 whp@5200 & 143 ft-lb @ 4300…not too shabby
2529 curb weight
52/48 weight ratio
Redlines at 6500
Compression: 9.5:1
Bore & Stroke: 83.1mm x 85.1mm
Displacement: 1893cc
Skidpad of .96
Final Drive: 4.100:1
Overall Length: 155.7 in
Wheelbase: 89.2 in
Width: 66 in :shock:

Best posted stock quartermile I found is 15.1 @ 90mph with wheelspin and 4 gear changes (crossing finish line in 5th…)

Here she is:

First I plan to learn its limits and how to drive it lol
Second, I plan on buying Flyin Miata Little Enchilada upgrade, $1800 gets a turboback exhaust, O2 sensor simulator, better intake, bigger intercooler & piping, TB inlet pipe, Turbosmart recirculating valve & manual boost controller. This puts it to about 200 rwhp.
Their “Big Enchilada” adds the Hydra Nemesis standalone FMU and 550cc injectors for an additional $2k to really push the stock turbo to its limits of 225 rwhp.

I wanna search for a way to install my modified HKS SSQV with the recirculation nipple I had welded onto it. I like hearing the turbo but I also love the sound of the blow off. I dont like the stealth.

I also wanna hook up my Greddy turbo timer, Apex-i Neo AFC, and Oil pressure, A/F & Boost gauges.

Let the games begin.

Nice man! Better than a rusted out 240!

Dude… fuckin sweet, I’m jealous. I don’t get full boost until 3k in 3rd gear. I always liked Miatas I bet that thing is a BLAST to drive.

That’ll actually be a fun little ride there.

Very nice car, MSM MBs are just as cool as NAs in my book. Should’ve posted up you were looking for a Miata, I would have linked you to this :excited

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8236

drift the balls out of it…that is all

car loooks good too

Nice ride man! keeping my eyes out around town for yea. If I see it infront of the shop, I will be stoping in and demanding a ride in it! lol

lol thanks guys!

And I only like this model MX-5…not a fan of the flip up headlights and the newer MX-5s are too expensive and too heavy

Can you put the VVT head on your motor?

LOVE these cars and big turbz must be funnnn

Nice pickup man, the car looks great… MSMs are already nice from the factory, and it seems like you’ve done your research in finding out about the restrictions, etc. I would love to have a turbocharged Miata.

You say NC Miatas are expensive, but you could probably pick up an 2006 NC Miata with the Club Spec package for about what you bought the MSM for. This would have A/C delete and all that…

It’s deceiving, the NC looks like a huge car compared to an NB, but the weight difference is like 50-100 lbs, depending on the model.

I bet a Club Spec NC and an MSM NB would weigh the same, given the Mazdaspeed has 17", the turbo, intercooler, etc.

I definitely want to try and drive an NC one day, although I like the NA styling best.

In any case, enjoy it!!!

nice, saw it the other day driving past your house

blasphemous! NA’s ftw! haha jk. I like the NB’s somewhat but the NC’s look like complete ass imho. As Kramer stated a while ago, the later gen miatas and MR2’s just lost their personality. Like yer car though :thumbup

I like the way the wheels look in the wheel wells of the NCs but thats about it. Big body lines & rims on a smll car with tiny headlamps lol

The MSM claims to weigh 2529 without a driver OMG seems like a lot. And that blasted 52/48 ratio just totally sucks lol

What I was REALLY looking to get was a Skyy Redline or Solstice GXP but realixed I just DONT fit inside it, on top of the fact they were out of my price range and not all that well balanced. Better setup for drifting like 240’s rather than road race/autoX which is what I’d rather do.

And I dont think its smart to swap the VVT head because there’d obviously be programming involved and not sure the gains would be significant. The only benefit I could see would be the 7k redline. But the gearing in the tranny is so short that wit wouldn’t matter past second gear either.

7k red line would be SOOOO fun though! speaking of which, cant wait to get my car done so i could have 7k redline

9k or GTFO

lol 9k would prolly blow my turbo to pieces haha I gotta hook up my gauges to see where the boost is at currently and how far I cansafely push it without leaning it out or blowing it up, then off to a manual boost controller :wink:

9k?? Jeez what can Rev that high???

I don’t know of any cars whatsoever that rev to nine thousand revolutions per minute from the factory. None.

^^ agreed