Etest question

If you Fail

HC PPM limit 66 Reading 107
Co% Limit .37 reading 2.31

What is the most likely thing wrong.???

Thanks

wow CO is off the wall.
Most times you can count on it being the Cat. How was the curb test, if it was well under limit I would bet on Cat if your engine is running proper.

Andrew.

Curb test

Hc Limit 200 Reading 37
Co%limit 1 Readin .19

The cats like 4 months old, i dont see how it can be fucked already

and your engine is running proper? not rich? Your HC is not off the wall so your probably not running lean.

And how many KM’s on the engine? I assume its an SOHC. Might be valve issues causing it to fail. These emission test are getting way to strict. I barely passed with my 180k km SOHC.

Also, you changed your oil and ran some sure pass through before you went I hope? And spun the test on 94?

But I mean if your cat is new it could be any number of things causing you to fail, valves, o2 sensor, leaky injector etc.

Andrew.

I ran 94 to niagra and back yesterday with some gasline antifreeze in(same shit thats in the GTP) Oil was changed on thursday so its brand new.

i have like 367800 on the car right now :lol: So im guessing thats got a big part to do with it.

:lol: yeah theres your answer. The head isn’t as efficient as it once was :stuck_out_tongue:

If you own the car and jsut renewing your license plate sticker you should be able to get a conditional pass.

Andrew.

:lol: yeah theres your answer. The head isn’t as efficient as it once was :stuck_out_tongue:

If you own the car and jsut renewing your license plate sticker you should be able to get a conditional pass.

Andrew.[/quote]

Dont u have to spen 450 to get that?

For a conditional pass its 400 spent on replacing parts trying to get it to pass. I think thats with labour too.

Andrew.[/quote]

So ur saying the only thing to do really is to replace the motor?

Hey man.

For your CO level being that high, I’d say it’s your O2 sensor. It could be starting to fail on you and only being working on an intermitent basis. So knowing your luck, it probley started screwing up when you were getting your test done. See since our O2’s are only 1 wire sensor’s they need the exhaust gases to heat it and it can up to 5+ minutes to be working properly. As well they can even cool off under idle so it’s possible it was working to past the curb part of the test then when it did heat for the actual test it started to foul out on you. So I’d start with that first.

A high KM engine won’t make you fail an Etest.

What I usually do for my etest is on an empty tank I first put one bottle of fuel injector cleaner and octane boost in. Then I get a half tank of 94 and go for a rip. You don’t need to speed but make sure the car is high in the rpm band. Go for a boot on high doing 120ish in 4th. The cleaner will make sure your injector’s are working well and the octane boost will raise the temp in the engine to help burn off excess carbon build up. Then go for your etest as your engine will be at perfect temp and so will your 02 sensor and cat.

So good luck man and let me know if there’s anything else going on that I may be able to help you with.

Take care.

Easy 8)

Repair cost limit: $450

In order to get a conditional pass, you have to reach or exceed the repiar cost limit with actual repairs or reccomended repairs.

For example:

You go in for a diagnosis. They find the following wrong:

A) 02 sensor, 60 bux for parts, 50 for labor

B) Air filter, 20 bux for parts 30 for labor

C) Cat: 305 bux for parts 150 for labor

So what they would do is this:

02 sensor + airfilter = 160 bux, plus diagnosis which is about 30 bux usually, so 190 bux in total, you would get those repairs

The next on the list is the cat, which is 455 bux total. The problem is if you
add them togther, the total cost would be over 450 bux, so they just put it down as a “reccomended repair”.

you would go do the test, fail, and get a conditional pass and pay 190 bux for the repairs done.

Total cost of repairs done: $190
Total cost of repairs reccomended: $455

This is just an imaginary case, you should get a diagnosis done. Also, make sure you get all repairs done at a registered DCF (Drive clean Facility) that is certified for repairs, or else whatever you spend on repairs with them doesnt count towards the limit.

Usually if the shop is smart, they will make sure you don’t have to spend anything close to the repair cost limit.

If you plan to go for a retest make sure your car is hot, run it for 15-20 minuites beforehand. I’ve seen lots of cars initally fail, but pass after running them for 5-6 minuites on the dyno to warm them up.

Good luck