Exhaust Opinions

I’m toying with the idea of throwing a pipe onto my 1000RR and I’d like to hear your opinions and experiences. Here’s a few discussion points:

• Slip-on vs. Full. Is the extra price justified for a full system? I’m guessing not for my needs. The couple extra HP would be moot on the street. My main riding is not on the track; I enjoy twisties and spirited crusing and rarely ever wring the bike’s neck - I doubt it has ever seen redline in any gear.
  • Power Commander. Will I needa PC3 for a slip-on? How about a full system? At this point would it be best to drop in a better-flowing air filter as well?
  • Noise Level. I love the throaty gargle of a liter bike with an aftermarket exhaust, however I don’t want it to be TOO obnoxious or whiney. This may be unavoidable; but maybe just getting a slip-on will provide a more moderate dB increase, or maybe it varies brand to brand.
  • Noise Quality. Simple. Which brands/styles sound the best?
  • Product quality. Which brands do you guys have experience with/recommend? Best bang for the buck?
    Thanks for any insight guys. I might get a better (quantity) response on a sport bike forum, but I know there’s a bunch of knowledgable/experienced riders here as well.

I would only do a slip on.
Do you need a power commander for the slip on? no. Do you put and exhaust on and leave the intake stock on your car?
I would put a filter and slip on first. You will notice more throttle response than anything .
Personally, I like the sound of akrapovic. The only way to tell what you like to is to listen to some.

I had a Gsxr600 with a two brothers slip on…luckily 07’s still had the removable cat. so that made it much better. It was a deep rumble but very loud. people would definitely know you were coming, and hear just about every crack on the throttle that was done. I would definitely suggest getting the pc3. that will even out all the fuel and what not according to the pipe. have fun and be safe on the 1k!

finally some action in the bike section, after i sold my bike this sub-forum fucking died

mod that shit up im excited to see pics!!!

Go akra or go home. It sounded so fucking awesome on my 10r.

[video]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ieatpaint315/Bike/?action=view&current=032.mp4[/video]

My friend has a Yoshi slip-on on his cbr1000rr, it sounds good, super loud, but personally it hangs too far off the back for my liking. another person I know has the Akra on his 600rr and it looks much better, for a slip on though it doesn’t sound insanely loud, but does sound good.

I’m going to guess that the next few years are going to get tougher on loud sport bikes.

Make sure you are up for the hassles

slip ons. 2 brothers or akra. there are very nice. i would buy a k&n or bmc filter. no pwer comander needed but does help it

yea my speed triple just has 2 slip ons…

:tup:

slip on and a filter, i have a bmc race filter and a leo vince slip on my 600rr, i like it. i would go akrapovic if i had to do it again.

id say power commander only if getting a full system and getting it tuned on a dyno.

^ +1

what year ??

1. From what I’m reading, it doesn’t seem that these play nicely with filter/slip-on without a PC3… hmm.

Every bike is going to be different. All I can say is ride it and read your plugs. I did this with my SMR when it was stock and it made a hell off a difference. Playing with the carb and making sure that the plug was burning that perfect paper bag brown.

Do they offer a PCV for the bike? Really a far better option then getting a pc3 with mail order tune.

i think pcv is like 09 n newer. might b 08 and up tho

Could be the case but it may still work. I picked up a pcv for my wheeler which is an 08 even though they list it for 09+ and it still works for it though.