Exhaust question....

The Megan racing catback i have is one long pipe out the back, and it branches into two small pipes, which bolts onto the manifold. Easy.

The exhaust that is on my car right now has the part that bolts on, but there is another pipe coming off the exhaust and going up into the engine bay.

My question is what is the pipe? What should I do with it?

See pic for reference, and thanks!

Jeff

http://www.speedxzone.com/exhaust.jpg

The red outlines the wierd pipe, that isnt on the catback. There just nothing there.

The Blue outlines the part that bolts on.

the red pipe is part of the EGR system. it has to do with emissions during warm up but is often removes as it serves no purpose after warm up. the blue looks like a heat sheild. Just remove it if your want or keep it. doen’t really make a difference. i beleive its called and AIR pipe or something.

The blue is just showing where it bolts on.

Thanks for the info! Does it matter wether the red part is removed or not? What do I do with the other end of the pipe if I take it off?

Thanks!

Jeff

I would leave the red pipe on there, it reduces fuel consumption under cruising conditions. But if you want just remove it.

For me its a matter of bolting on the exhaust myself, or paying someone $60 to weld it on.

I looked further, theres rubber hose connecting the red pipe to another pipe going to where all the emissions stuff is. If I do decide to remove it, should I just plug the hole somehow?

It saves your gas on cruising conditions cuz your sending burnt gasses into your intake and burning them again. Doesnt sound good to me. Throw it out :slight_smile:

Its factory, Nissan spent how much R&D on this and you think it doesnt sound good…

If your installing an exhaust why are worried about all this stuff in the first place. The exhaust bolts onto the cat not the exhaust manifold.

Wrong. The current exhaust has no cat lol, and the catback has a resonator instead.

Aka, both are welded up until that point in the picture.

Hacked right up eh?

Haha yeah.

So the question still stands… do I plug the red pipe? Stuff my finger in it, and turn the car on? Fill it with a flammable liquid?

Plug it.

Perfect. Thanks for all the help guys! :smiley:

just put on the exhuast from the parts car
the egr pipe is already removed and welded shut

look at the airbox for how i plugged the hole

That isn’t egr. It is aav or some crap. Same difference. Nissan engineered it so that it would make it more emission friendly not to make the car run better.