exterior paint question

My garage has had peeling paint on it for a while now. Recently my dad and I pressure washed it, and now it has 1/3rd less paint on it. The garage is wood. What I am looking for, is what is the best cheap paint to put on there for coverage, and that is tintable to grey. I will be selling the house soon, so I don’t really want to go top of the line, but I also don’t want to have to put 5 coats of cheap paint on it either. I also need a good white paint, as the Barn & Fence white paint from lowes requires a lot of coats and doesn’t seem to hold up well.

Call Sherwin Williams in Hamburg. They are professionals. They will point you in the right direction. It is not often you’ll get good for cheap.

PM ieatpaint Knows his shit, works at Schuele Paint on Main in Clarence.

Or him.

Him

keep in mind the OP is in Binghamton.

Grab a cheap oil based primer like zinssers cover stain for $20 a gallon. That will properly prime the wood and give you good hide. Then grab a somewhat inexpensive house paint in whatever color you want to paint over it. If you’ve got a benjamin moore store near you, see if they carry coronado’s supreme or the super spex exterior line. This way you’re priming it like you’re suppose to and you wont need 10 million coats. You can tint the zinsser primer to grey with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant (the store does this for you). You can either have them tint to the color you’re putting over it or just tell them 2 ounces of black. I don’t know any dealers down that way or I could help you out. You could even use PPG’s speedhide exterior line, that’s good stuff and it’s $50 a gallon.

I’m developing a line of rapid application, high coverage paints. I’m going to call them the K1000 Series. You tape a K1000 to the side of the can (or bucket for larger jobs), light it, place it near the area requiring painting, and run like hell. Initial testing stages so far. Mixed results.

I should also mention that you have to take into consideration what your time is worth. You can grab a gallon of shit paint for $25 and do it 3 times, or you can get the best for $55 and do it once. Since you’re selling you could use benjamin moore’s Aura, it’s $60 a gallon and do it once (any sheen but semi-gloss), no primer and it will cover. You might even be able to pull that off with Sherwin’s Duration, but I don’t have any first hand experience with that. Painting fucking sucks, I wouldn’t want to prime and paint, especially this late in the season when the weather is so iffy.

he’s looking for advice, not trying to hire a painter. ieatpaint knows more about paint/stain than 99% of this (auto)forum knows about cars.

I believe theblue mentioned that since people were telling me to go to places in Buffalo.

And I knew Ryan would comments here, but also wanted other’s opinions. I believe I have a Shermin Williams store here, as well as this place, which has Benjamin Moore (http://danielspaint.com/). I would prefer the one and done route. The other two walls of the garage are not going to be repainted, so I am just looking for something that will cover and look decent.

And yes, painting sucks. especially in an old house. Thankfully my father has offered to do a lot of it since he has time. \

Thanks for the advice.

Take chips of the peeling paint into whatever store you go into and they’ll match them for you so when you paint it’ll somewhat match the unpainted.