Need some tips on painting our garage

Due to my dad getting older, my job schedule/logistics and my sometimes flat out negligence/lazyness, our garage has been in dire need of a facelift for years now. It’s getting higher on the list to get it done, but honestly I have basically zero experience with painting homes, garages, etc.

Here is how it sits now-

http://i48.tinypic.com/w0422g.jpg

Obviously I’d have to clean up everything around it to get started. What’s the best way to go about painting it without spending a whole lot? Spray? Brush? Roller? What kind of prep work? I do have a gas powered pressure washer here if that helps. Not trying to reinvent the wheel or get too involved here, just want to spend a day and getting it looking cosmetically better.

Thanks

-T

Pressure wash it. Paint it with a brush. The paint will go on thicker with a brush as opposed to a roller.

Thanks, kind of what I figured but wanted to make sure.

Im actually a rep for Sherwin Williams, so i can help ya.

Heres how i would do it. Pressure wash it preferably with a house and siding cleaner mixed with your water and a nozzle that wont rip the siding up. The goal is to loosen off any loose stuff. Any paint that is left after is adhered well enough not to affect your topcoat. Let it sit and dry for atleast a day. Once the wood is dry prime your bare spots with a good oil primer. Oil seals the wood much better than latex and will give you longer lasting siding and coating.

Lastly roll with a 3/4 nap cover or larger to help fill in the grooves and uneven areas. A larger nap will hold more paint and speed up the job. No need to brush the whole thing, just cut your edges and roll the rest. Id highly suggest doing two coats as well. Spraying is more effort than its worth. Ends up being more of a hassle for someone that doesnt do it everyday and will your paint wont last as long. Doing the job properly will give you a LONG time before the next paint job and a place your proud of.

Lastly, buy your paint from an actual paint store. The quality is superior to box stores and they will help you make sure the job is done right.

If i still lived in Albany, i would just grab the paint for ya but since i dont i can call the store closest to you and see if they’ll just give you my 50% discount. Shouldnt be a problem, if you need any more info just pm me.

Put vinyl siding on it and never worry about painting it again but first you need to redo the roof on it

How is the condition of the siding at the bottom of the building? Not trying to bust balls but it looks like the bottom few inches of siding is kind of rotted. You might want to pull the stuff out from around it and take a look. If it’s starting to rot you might want to replace it with pressure treated before painting. If you give me a few weeks notice I could probably come down for most of a day to give you a hand if need be.

Thanks Will-I’ll call you today.