External HDD Sh!t

So i have this 500GB western digital external hdd that just took a crap, It clicks when you power it up. I called WD and it is 3 months out of warranty and they could not do anything for me besides giving me a few % off a new one at msrp…

Just wondering if there is a way to fix it before throwing it out or using it as a coaster

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=224

yeah… throw it in a plastic zip loc bag and put it in the freezer for 3-5 hours or so… Have your PC on and ready to plug it back in and copy the data off as quickly as you can.

worked for me in the past

Freezer? Crazy, I’ll have to keep that in mind.

^^Worked for me to save 2 HDD already.

Yeah, freezer trick works like 50% of the time.

Get Spinrite, that usually helps you get some shit

send it to me if you care about your data. please dont attempt hardware failure data recovery if your an amature.

I actually got all the data off it wish I was lucky to, I noticed something was fishy when it would no longer let me transfer data to it but it did let me transfer from it. After i saved all my info rebooted the comp and the external started ticking

lol at the freezer idea, I don’t understand how that works but cool

is it the power unit on it or the hdd itself, could I put an different harddrive in the enclosure?

looks like I may have myself a new coaster

OT_ What brands don’t do this? lol

i can also help if you need me too. Locutus is also a pro at it.

hmm…WD really is a crap nowadays…

Seagate to the rescue.

3 months out of the warranty?

Tear it open, the harddrive inside itself should be like a 5 year warranty… they should replace that at the very least… Interms of getting the shit off your harddrive… might be a rough one

^, I may check that out

most WD externals only come with a 1 year while their other hdds come with 3 and 5 years… bs i say

I got all of my data off of it before it crapped

THey know the external drives are going to get tossed around a lot more by the average consumer… hence the shorter shelf life.

Yes, it is crap, but theyre going to know that the serial # drive in there was in a external enclosure, thus you had the 1 year on and and obviously had to open it to remove the drive so your warranty if you had one is now void…

Well thats how Hitachi works anyways…

the internal SN is 99% of the time the external SN… so they track one SN for the device

Cuz.

I know how to fix it.
BRING IT OVAR!

Hammer time?

he would probably just fire at it with his pistol

Riiiighhtt…

So im confused, how does this affect my previous post?