Data Recovery HELP!

So my 300gb is officially dead. I have access to nothing on it. It is clicking. Has anyone on here used a good data recovery service? Anyone good local? Unfortunately ALL of my pictures, everything is on it, I need to get this shit back pronto. Thanks in advance!

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

I’ve had luck at work with this program bringing drives back long enough for me to back them up with Ghost or Acronis.

siiiiick. i downloaded that already, have yet to try it though! good looking out man thank you.

No problem. I’ve had about 50% luck with that program allowing me to get in, get the data, and get out before it died again. If it’s clicking, it may be harder, but it’s worth a shot.

does anyone have a bootable norton ghost image they can email me?

Heres the deal… With a dead hard drive, clicking in your case means that the arm that reads the data is fucked… which means the chances of you yourself getting the data off are pretty much 0.

Try this first… if you have a hard drive enclosure or dont mind taking it out of your case and putting it back in.

Put the hard drive in a sandwhich baggy and place it in the freezer, let it sit overnight. The reason for this is simple… when anything metallic gets cold it condenses meaning that the arm and the parts associated with it will start to condense and may give you a short window to be able to get what you need off before it heats up and starts fucking up again.

It may or may not work… I’ve done this quite a few times with pretty much a 50/50 shot of sucess/failure give it a try… if not your going to have to call up someplace that does data recovery, and probably pay a few hundre bucks for someone to dissasembly your hard drive and use some special tools to get shit off it.

But no software is going to get data off a hard drive when its a mechanical failure

+1 Bingo.

Oh snap.

Would have helped if I read all of Waynes post.

Yeah if your drive is clicking, it may be far fetched…

Spinrite is more for drives that are corrupt, etc.

Data backups FTW.

I offer offsite data backup capability so in the future this won’t happen again if a drive fails. Very inexpensive, let me know if your interested.

Wayne its time to start running weekly backups to another hard drive or runnin in a raid array :thumbup

actually guys the clicking doesn’t necessarily mean the head is shot… it just means it can’t find track 0. the click is the head scanning back and forth and hitting the stopper. so there is a slim chance it’s recoverable.

i know about the freezer trick… it worked for me before on another drive. i tried it last night for about an hour and the clicking went away, but i couldn’t access it.

Best part is that i do all the backups at work. They are enough of a pain in the ass that i don’t do it at home. lol irony win.

I heart teh freezer trick. Saved sooooo much info at my last job doing that!

Your something else there wayne :lol

Try that program then Wayne. If the clicking isn’t as bad as you say, then maybe it’ll recover your sectors/tracks enough to get data off of it.

i don’t think the head crashed cause the system wasn’t hit or anything… i dunno we’ll find out tonight i guess. if all else fails i’ll send it out to a pro recovery firm.

F U Wayne. You jinxed me.

I now have a Vista laptop on my desk that has registry/hive issues.

Browse out to C:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack where the ‘default’ registry backups are supposed to be and NOTHING. Empty. Person does not want to re-install, and repair has yet to work.

I get a Cx00000218 error.

You suck lol.

more good news. acsdata.com wants 900-1100 to repair a bad head. if it’s not the head its ONLY $600. awesome.

We’re full of fail today aren’t we Wayne? lol.

Data extraction is much less than that. Have it sent out and have you data pulled. Then buy a new HDD. You’ll save a couple hundred from $600

where? can you recommend a good and reputable place?