extremely lean and stalling out

Hey guys, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and trying to narrow down what is happening but no luck…

here’s the story: for a while (about 2 weeks or so) on start up the car has been hesitating quite a bit and idling lean but not stalling just rough idle around 800rpm and dipping down a little and then I would drive it out and then it would idle just fine. It also sounds like my external wastegate is staying open under idle and light throttle…I can hear it and I have no idea why, this was never happening before. Now, this past weekend I put a 3" downpipe on finally and put a testpipe on. I did not touch anything in the engine bay. And after I go to start it up to hear the exhaust I can clearly hear the wastegate open and it won’t even hold idle, It just shoots up to 1200-1500rpm then drops down fast and dies if i don’t give it gas.

-when driving, car boosts fine but stalls as soon as I clutch in or come to a stop without me giving it gas
-I have checked for vaccum and boost leaks as best as I can.
-checked the bov (not stuck open)
-took the wastegate off and inspected spring, bladder and valve seal. all fine
-I try to correct for the fuel with my safc-2 on +50% fuel and still lean…

My setup:
s14 ka24de
T3/T4 Air Research
550cc
aem fpr
z32 maf
jim wolf ecu
safc-2
38mm external wastegate
old school hks bov

I am going to try to reset the ECU and see if it is flashing any codes. I don’t understand why it would just start doing this and running really lean.

any suggestions would be great! thanks in advance.

Phil

what spark plugs are u using ? if 7’s did u gap them ?

What is your in and out on the SAFC?

simple thing to check… had a similar issue, do you have a filter on your maf? I’ve seen blowing air from cooling fans mess around with a maf that didn’t have an air filter on it. Made it run lean and stall out!

well it turned out to be a vaccum leak and my safc-II decel air setting were all fucked up so i reset them again and got it idling perfect. still a little bit of hesitation on start up but give it a shot of gas and it smooths out.

im going to try to find every little vac and boost leak and get them all patched up or fixed somehow and clean out my iacv, and re-gap my plugs for now.

question: on start up there is quite a bit of smoke/gas comming out of the valve cover breather. I don’t have a catch can or filter on it and it spits oil now and then…what should i do about this? and is this bad?

Phil

its called blowby … and yes its bad