eyeOS. The epitome of Web 2.X and where technology is headed.

You guys have to check this out. I’m surprised a big namer hasn’t already done this. We all know it’s pretty evident that things are gearing towards cloud computing, and the like, and this is just another stepping stone in that journey.

Complete browser based OS. Accessible anywhere with web access.

Thoughts? Discussions? If, or should I say when Google releases an OS, it will probably be a highly polished variant of this concept.

Read up about it here: http://eyeos.org/en/?section=home

Try it now: http://demo.eyeos.org/

I’m not sure if you’re talking about the OS itself, or the OS running over the internet? I’ve used thin clients at a few places, the concept of remote OS has been around and functional for years. with vmware we use an ip’d monitor to serve up different OS’s in enviroments where we don’t want another workstation. The concept of using the internet is probably now viable due to the bandwidth of the common consumer and business. for os functionality and virtual desktops i’ve seen echo2 used… pretty cool web development code. I’m not sure where the true benefit of this is though? where do you use a kiosk or internet machine that you would want to remote into your OS? why not use ftp and/or ssh? neat concept, I just don’t see businesses justifying the need, definitely has the cool factor, even though it looks like that other crap os… thoughts?

defense dept. actually, just about anything where sensitive data could be lost, so CC/banking, medical. If nothing is stored on the computer itself, and the physical machine is lost, the machine is useless.

when i worked with them (2004) we used volatile storage (ram drives)… and pxe boot machines… I work for a trendy retailer now and they are on the forefront of bullshit projects because they are cool… so i can see the adoption, but currently we just store unencrypted data on ram drives.

I haven’t had a chance to read up on this though… it does look like the OS is stored and hosted and just replicated to the internet and sync’d? so is there a hard install somewhere? or is it just an active OS that is essentially xml’d?

oh… i read up on it… it’s just using apache to ftp files! lol… echo2 is something i’ve used to do just this in the past… just java crap… i guess no one just labeled web dev product as an “OS” before :slight_smile:

It’s stored, hosted, and replicated to the internet.

Granted it’s not the end all be all of thin-client computing, but it’s a damn good start. More importantly, I can see it as actually being useful over just gimmicky. This is essentially what cloud computing will be, and so far, I’m liking it.

This might be the biggest buzz word post I have ever seen on this forum! :slight_smile: Cloud computing is nothing new, it is not something we will work towards either. It is simply an evolution of systems. The mainframe could be considered the first “cloud computing” environment. It rose and fell when user variables changed. In the 90’s they brought it back and called it grid computing. Same cycle… Its like a teeter totter. Server technology will be on top and we get clouds, users will increase demand and then the user will be on top and clouds disappear.

Nothing being stored on the computer is nice, but you run into new concerns. 1st being all your eggs are in one basket. If the server farm takes a hit, you are impacting all users. Security breaches are your worse nightmare, now everyones data is in a nice central location. You still have to worry about the transmit to the thin/thick client.

Like sonny said, this concept is nothing new. It has it’s PRO’s and definitely CON’s.

So basically, “Eye” acts a third party online storage provider where your “desktop” is located, and you access it from anywhere on the internet? Seems like more of a trendy/home user kind of thing…and like others have said, the thin-client/server based concept has been around since day one (dummy terminals connected to mainframes or UNIX servers, VM terminals, even X-Windows/telnet/SSh/terminal services ect).

yeah… i was kindly trying to say i believe it is gimmicky bullshit for the ‘mac users’ of the world :slight_smile:

I like my data on my machine, not somewhere else.

no thanks.

By no means do I mean that eyeOS is the greatest example technology-wise, but the concept behind it; OS in a browser, is huge. It’s what Larry Ellison tried to do years ago. The ability to, no matter where you are have access to your “PC” so to speak.

Quote me on this, in 10 years, this is the sort of thing we will be working towards. The flexibility of it is incredible, and that’s what makes this, and the whole Web 2.0 revolution a big thing. It’s what Google is working towards with all of it’s Apps, and what it’s going to put out with it’s inevitable OS release. A cloud based OS.

Everything will be accesible anywhere, and will have the seamless ability to be shared. With some of our clients, we’ve already seen them migrate away from things like Sharepoint to Web 2.0 apps like Wrike, or Basecamp. Hell, we’ve seen a lot of them migrate to Google Apps, and do away with Office.

As far as bigger corporations, a migration like that would be more difficult, but I do see it happening with time and more devolopment to technology. The lines between thin clients and standard workstations are going to be blurred, big time.

By no means do I mean that eyeOS is the greatest example technology-wise, but the concept behind it; OS in a browser, is huge

It’s not really an operating system…I think “desktop” is a better term.

We do kind of the same thing for remote users via SSL VPN portals. Like others have said, all this is is clever marketing for a very old concept.

Not to downplay what eyeOS is, but to me it looks like a glorified ftp client. :dunno:

I know, but that fact that it’s browser based. Ignore me, I’m a big web 2.0 nut.

:bash: Throw in SaaS to complete your buzz word training.

What problems are you solving with this solution? 90% of the users in the US would have no clue how to use something like this or even care to try. They want to make sure there pictures are in a central place and thats about it. Facebook, Flickr, Myspace, etc have solved this. The other 10% are advanced users and no way in hell are they going to put there files in the middle of nowhere in this cloud and think they are safe. I just don’t buy that this will be the next revolution.