Facebook touted as the next Google

Jul 19th 2007
From The Economist print edition
Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook is being touted as the new Steve Jobs, and his company as the next Google

OLDER people in particular are often taken aback by the speed with which the internet’s “next big thing” can cease being that. It even happens to Rupert Murdoch, a septuagenarian media mogul. Two years ago he bought MySpace, a social-networking site that has become the world’s largest. The other day, however, Mr Murdoch was heard lamenting that MySpace appears already to be last year’s news, because everybody is now going to Facebook, the second-largest social network on the web, with 31m registered users at the last count.

Facebook was started in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg, a student at Harvard and not even 20 at the time, along with two of his friends. The site requires users to provide their real names and e-mail addresses for registration, and it then links them up with current and former friends and colleagues with amazing ease. Each Facebook “profile” becomes both a repository of each user’s information and photos, and a social warren where friends gossip, exchange messages and “poke” one another.

Facebook is generating so much excitement this summer that bloggers are likening Mr Zuckerberg to Steve Jobs, the charismatic boss of Apple, and calling his company “the next Google” on the assumption that a stockmarket listing must be imminent. It may be. Mr Zuckerberg has rejected big offers from new- and old-media giants such as Yahoo! and Viacom. One of his three sisters, who also works for Facebook, has posted a silly video online that makes fun of Yahoo!'s takeover bid and sings about “going for IPO”. And Facebook has advertised for a “stock administration manager” with expertise in share regulations.

More: http://www.economist.com/people/dis…tory_id=9507260

they were discussing this on cnbc las tnight…they were saying facebook is still 1/3(if that) the size of myspace though…and that the whole pres. campaign deal theyre having on myspace this fall is supposed to be huge…i dont think it will be, personally…how many 16 yr old girls care about the president?

[quote=“K Cuv,post:2,topic:32809"”]

they were discussing this on cnbc las tnight…they were saying facebook is still 1/3(if that) the size of myspace though…and that the whole pres. campaign deal theyre having on myspace this fall is supposed to be huge…i dont think it will be, personally…how many 16 yr old girls care about the president?

[/quote]

None DUH!!! Unless they have some sweet mirror self pics and of course “the angles”

Emo comb-overs help too!

And bathroom mirror body shots!

We need some jailbait in this thread to make up for all the text bullshit above.

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/488/youngins4.jpg

I agree, how about a link that works dj-linkstar

edit NM OMG BONER

Damn, your jailbair and making me knock my keyboard off the desk.

[quote=“RobHimself,post:7,topic:32809"”]

I agree, how about a link that works dj-linkstar

edit NM OMG BONER

[/quote]

pipe down

i run this

this is me right below here.
:party2:

^^^ jailbaitz.

you can’t see the two underneath the table, but they’re there.

Well played don. Well played.

Someday I may get bored enough to actually make a facebook.

i have one, it’s pretty bare but that’s how i like it.

kinda like this girl

http://i7.tinypic.com/4xww55d.jpg

Request moar JB please!

Also, this is now a JB thread.

thanks for littering my thread w/JB :tdown:

i signed up for facebook the other day…

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:13,topic:32809"”]

thanks for littering my thread w/JB :tdown:

[/quote]

No problem

damnit! i was out the other day and there was a benefit car wash on on union and willaim. The broads were phenominal.

High School cheer car-washes FTW.

the first girl omg

[quote=“RobHimself,post:16,topic:32809"”]

damnit! i was out the other day and there was a benefit car wash on on union and willaim. The broads were phenominal.

[/quote]

PICS damnit!! Or, it did not happen!

[quote=“Avatar,post:19,topic:32809"”]

PICS damnit!! Or, it did not happen!

[/quote]

I wish i had time they were super hot girls. Fucking hormones in the beef i swear.