The Facebook IPO

figured i’d start a chat about this since it will be big news in the coming weeks.

valuations put it at $85B-$100B and the IPO will almost definitely be over-subscribed.

It will be VERY interesting when the numbers come out about actual revenue streams. I gotta believe that a company this important will have high-integrity in their accounting practices, unlike Groupon, so it will be interesting firstly to see the numbers but also to hear the criticism about the numbers.

anyone here going to try and buy in?

Super excited.

Google IPO $85, $578 today.
Apple $22, 3 splits, $2.85 adjusted, today $450.

Very interested.

the estimates are 85-100 BILLION, not million. I will buy in if I can get in below what I think it’s worth at the time…depends on how much of a markup the underwriters throw on it.

sorry, edited. weird mistake to make.

imagine the stock doubles inside the first few days or weeks and someone at Morgan Stanley, or whomever they choose, gets a $7B finger pointed at them :slight_smile:

i’d hate to be that guy.

It’s actually pretty hard for an average investor to get in on an IPO.

I hope the stock tanks and Facebook turns into an embarrassing internet memory, like 90’s AOL.

All depends on your broker. I’ve had good luck on Interactive Brokers which is a more professional, more complicated platform to use, but also doesn’t have 50 million noobs trying to fill orders for 2 shares.

:word:

Ill wait this out

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

:word:

Ill wait this out

Should have interesting to see how fast their talent clears out after this…

how could facebook tank at this point in the short term?

i realize that companies like Kodak or Hostess can make bad long term decisions that send them into a long and difficult spin but it takes decades of mediocrity to do it.

I can’t see not using FB in the near future unless something fundamentailly different comes along that renders it useless… like all of a sudden everyone becomes engaging enough to actually prefer interacting with them in person… which will NOT happen.

i can, the day they start charging

There isn’t anyway it would tank in short term way to many people have serious time invested and there isn’t an alternative.

I don’t think people understand the volume of people who use facebook everyday from around the world.

they wont charge for it unless it’s on a fremium basis… free to use but pay for upgrades.

that logic is kinda wack anyways, we don’t ‘deserve’ facebook or are not ‘entitled’ to it… if it adds value to your life you should support it.

Facebook can’t be all things to all people…

The 3rd party integration with running apps, music apps, movie apps is really helping fill in gaps.

facebook will never charge a fee

Aside from the fact that it’s not even in the realm of their business model, there are competitors out there just waiting to take away the market share, like Google+.

The reason why I wouldn’t buy the stock is that I just don’t see where the long term growth is. I’m not really a business person or a social media marketing expert though, so maybe I am just not educated enough on it.

^ This. It doesn’t matter how much better an alternative comes out. It’s a product all about connecting with other people, so people will stick with the one that everyone uses. I’ve had 2 or 3 google plus requests from my nerdlier of friends and I flat out told them no. I don’t need to be reading nerd updates in one place and my other friend/family updates on facebook.

somewhere in this vid mary meeker advises that web advertising is still underpriced and has major room for increases. Moreover, at some point she suggests there is massive headroom for google and facebook alike.

considering the guidance involved and how much of a potential upswing there is there should be no doubt that facebook will see the same growth multiples as google and apple. their brand will be even more pervasive given that all other major brands now have the FB and twitter logos at the end of their commercials. from a marketing and social perspective fb is the prime facilitator and are basically functioning like a utility company in that regard… they’re not going anywhere but up.

I’d say their main threat from this is some of their OG tech people cashing out billions on IPO day and retiring to beachfront mansions with coke and hookers.

That’s good to know bing, thanks…I’m gonna do some more research.

I’m not really into investing at the moment, but I think I would like to pick up some stocks that I think I could keep over a LONG period of time that will increase quite a bit from now till I get older. Like, buy now, and hold onto until I retire, or pass on to my children someday. Maybe facebook would end up being something I should consider?

I will be doing everything in my power to get in on this… I said that when talks started a few years ago and im saying it now. Chances are none of us will be in on it but it cant hurt to try.

Here is however, a spin on it to which the last bullet point scares me the most. http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2012/01/30/four-reasons-why-facebooks-ipo-is-irrelevant/

Google and Apple develop products… what does facebook have in the works that will tangibly add value to the service causing/sustaining any long term growth. (That wasnt rhetorical, id really like to know lol). Obviously they can snatch up a bunch of companies left and right but their bread and butter is FB itself, and adding value to the service wont increase users as almost everyone in the technological world has one.

It’s got a lot less to do with sign up rate at this point and more to do with active use.