Farewell Mario

Well today at 2pm its official Mario Lemieux will be officially retired now and no longer a penguin …thanks for the memories Mario

hahha!!! i called that shit!

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20615&highlight=mario

it sucks but the dude is old.
he was the greatest player ever to skate.
too bad injuries and diseases f’d him over.

worst day of my life…didnt even get to leave to a standing ovation / ceremony. i wanted it to be at our last home game this year. i hate this. i was at his last game tho, but still.

how many times has he quit… i mean retired now? geez enough is enough!

:frowning:

He is retiring because of the heart medication is making him extremely tired anymore and he doesnt want to retire but his body wont let him play

so does this mean we’ll get even more balls in the lottery for the draft again?

greatest athlete in the history of this city.

yeah I made it a point to get tickets to the last home game b/c I figured it would be his last… Sucks that he goes out at a news conference. Oh well, if it wasn’t for his medical problems he would be without a doubt mentioned as the best hockey player ever. Hell, even with all the problems he’s had he is still in the same league as Gretzky, Richard, Howe, Roy, and Dryden.

Now lets just hope he still has enough pull to somehow someway keep the team here.

no lottery next year the worst team gets the 1st pick in each round. right now the pens have 2nd pic. and it also frees up a lot of money for them to use to sign some players

no…the standings determain your number of chances in the LOTTERY, not the order of the draft. we could still get the number 1 pick if the season ended with the teams seated where they are.

ah ok thanks for clearing that up

this has to be the first time when 2 players that average a point or more a game retired mid-season for the same team…insane.

LOL, sorry to see him,anyway GO STEELERS :steelers: :steelers: :steelers:

17.2 seconds left…“they’ll drop the puck its free…out right side murphy shooting, save made… rebound by Lemieux…HEEEEEEEEEE shoots and scores… mario lemieux… and you’d have to be here to believe it” Pens 5 Blackhawks 4

I remember watching that game with my granddad in his basement den.

i remember the Buffalo Sabres game when he scored late in the 3rd period to push OT :slight_smile:

the first retirement. pens were down 3 games to 0 and he scored on his last shift in pittsburgh, took it to the 5 hole on garth snow.