federal minimum wage increase ...

this is a good read…

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16549922/from/RS.1/

from 5.15 to 7.25… somehow analysts say that this will NOT cause inflation. i don’t see how it won’t, since small stores will have to raise wages and prices to compensate, and there is no way wal-mart type stores will raise wages for millions across the board and not want/have to recoup the money…

discuss…

Very interesting read. :tup:

Personally, I don’t really have an opinion other than raising it is a double edge sword. The people on the bottom you’re trying to help are shopping at the stores with the razor thin margins, who have to raise their prices to pay the new wages.

EDIT:
Another good read:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/03/AR2007010301619.html

Well, that’s 13 million voters that will likely vote with the democrats in 2008.

This is a must for our minimum wage workers. The old rate was set in what, 97?? $5.15 is just not enough. I mean, the price of gasoline back in 97 was 40% less than it is today or something close to that…

How many places are still rockin the minimum wage around here? It seems like even pizzeria help wanted signs, lazertron, mighty taco etc etc pay alot more, probably just because that minimum is too low for anyone to even bother taking a job. I started working when the minimum was 4.75?, right before the increase to 5.15. And at that point, I was hired for more than minimum and gas was only $1.10/gallon. I cant imagine the old 4-8 pizzeria shift after school when it would have cost me 3 times as much as I would make just to drive there

That means poor people are closer to my pay scale. Eek! I agree it is needed because people working 8-10 hours a day deserve to make enough to live on.

yay i get a raise!!

and im serious when i say i make minimum wage :ohnoes:

exactly… when mighty T is hiring at 9.50+, lasertron at over 10 bucks, and even mickey d’s for 8.00+, you KNOW people should be making more.

so is the problem that the (under) average joe is making too little, or that the price of goods, gas, services, (pretty much everything) is too high? meaning… the rich have been getting richer.

so wegmans for example. along with the minimum wage increase, they also gave all of their hourly workers a $ 1 / hr raise. that’s either going to kill profits, or be passed along to the consumer. management/ownership is definitely not going to make LESS b/c of it. it would seem that similar happens at every business…

and yes, “poor” people do get closer to everyone else’s pay scale… assuming you don’t get a raise.

we need to do away with minimum wage, people under a certian age bracket and non homeowners should make a low wage (teenagers part time etc) while married homeowning parents etc SHOULD make a living wage. end of story, logisticly its too hard to execute though…

either way higher wages = more taxes :bloated:

great. now there will be more honda/cavy/sunflower/neon/grand-am/(any other car that i cant think of) drivers rocking bigger and better wings.

i drive a bmw, thx. lets not stereotype here…

They are probably moving up from pep boys spinners to JEGS spinners.

MEGA-Squirted… woooooooooooord!! :wink:

You realize that there is a State minimum wage as well. NY has always been higher than the national minimum wage.

The fact is this should help, buisnesses will just have to deal with it. Personally if a buisness could afford to fire some employees and get the same amount of work done then they should not have employed them in the first place.

i’ve worked in small companies and large corporations…

every business can fire employees or cut hours and get the same amount of work done… some are just MORE efficient than others. in fact, sometimes more work gets done with the elimination of certain people… lol

i think the NYS min is/was 6.25 right? something like that… but it’s probably going up with the federal.

Just remember NYS increasing minimum wage made mighty taco switch from the good nachos to the shitty ones

doesnt really matter what the minimum wage is…
decent jobs should pay more than min.

if you are going to live off of minumum wage all your life, you will fail.

i would like to rock min. wage and drive a BMW…

the raise in prices to compensate I would imagine could be super small…like a couple pennies on items