minimum wage increase

http://assembly.state.ny.us/raisethewageny/?sec=legislation

id like a raise too

Shoot me, but food service workers should make minimum wage. Yea they get “tips”, but people don’t tip sometimes. (aka, faggots).

I agree, They have to deal with a lot of shit too.

Yeah I’ve got friends who wait. It’s crazy how often you hear about them getting ridiculously low tips (like under 2 bucks, or some times just the change on a dollar) for pretty big $100+ tabs. Unless the waiter/waitress is exceptionally bad I usually throw around 20%.

i waited tables and did valet parking all through college. i RARELY ever had a shift under $150 cash, i guess it all depends where you work. i worked in a pretty decent restaurant (not a chain) and did valet parking at some very upscale places

as for my point…you don’t pay taxes on any of the cash tips you’re getting, nobody claims them

EDIT: i really don’t care for an increase one way or the other. i think it would be impossibly to try to live off minimage wage in either case, and extra $1.25 an hour doesn’t add up to much after 40 hours ($50 a week), i bet it’s still behind inflation/gas prices

I always throw down 20% unless like everyone else said they were dbags

Yeah I think location is key. Most of them work at chains. Also it makes a better story to hear about the dick who tipped you 47 cents than the average joe who tipped you 15-20% so I’m sure I’m more likely to hear about the jerks lol.

Beginning of Reservoir Dogs anyone? lol

Always 15-20% depending, sometimes more if service was really good. (If the tequila is not watered down, its really good service.)

I leave astronomically high tips every time if the service is at least acceptable. If you are an asshole, you get pocket lint. That’s the only exception.

WOW $8.50

Is anyone else pissed off to be old now. I remember completely busting my ass off at my first job for $5.15 an hour being at that job for 3 years and having left making $7.25 and thinking that was baller as shit

40hrs a week per year : $2600 - %30 tax ($780) = $1820 a year. $151 a mo more. So it might help a responsible person try to make a college loan payment, or pay off some cc debit. But most people piss it away as soon as they get it so, yea.

but alot of people on minimum wage try to work more hours to make a bit more money. so lets say they pick up an extra 10 hrs a week.

50 hrs : $3250 a year. -$975 for taxes $2275 a year net, so +$189 a month.

Pennies make dollars. But only in the hands of financially responsible people. :slight_smile:

same time I could get a lunch from taco bell while working said “first job” for $4 or so. (IRC the grilled stuffed burrito and nacho’s N cheeze were the cheapest meal at like $3.79 or someshit)

now I spend atleast 8$ for a meal deal there it seems. And I think to myself, man I could go to Moes and get a home wrecker for this price.

THEN, i got to moes and motherfucker, that got expensive too! lol

/cant win, inflation blows.

i hear all this about tips and i think “hah, you lucky fucks.” at least reasonable places hired you. im stuck at fucking mcdonalds. making almost nothing and having to piss it away instantly on christmas presents.

People are gonna start wondering why and complaining about the prices went up at McDonald’s if this passes.

Im lucky enough to have never worked for minimum wage and now make considerably more than minimum wage.

And nobody is forcing anybody to work at McDonald’s. Even Walmart pays more.

dude i remember when i got my license the first tank or gas i pumped into my first truck was $0.89 a gallon. Slapped in $5 and got 1/2 tank

I remember that too. Id drive around aimlessly blowing a tank of gas and be out like $12. Now if I did the same thing Im out around $95. Of course theres a difference between a 4 cylinder Ranger and a v8 F150 to account for but regardless the gas prices have gone up 4 times what there were back then.

What else has gone up to 4 times the price in the last 14 years? Certainly not wages.

Beer

I remember 30 stones for 10 bones. 30 rack of Keystone light for $10

a 30 pack of that toilet water doesnt cost $40 so it didnt go up to 4 times the price. Isnt it like $15?

This. Junior and senior year of high school I could almost fill a tank and get a soda for a $10 bill. Then September 11th happened and it seems gas has been on the rise since.

+REP