Do you always tip?

It’s a double edge sword. Why should I pay for a person’s salary when I am buying the food? But, then again, I want to thank the person who serves me?

For me, I WILL leave 0 tip if I feel it is necessary. I have 0 problem throwing a person under the bus who deserves it. I feel bad for saying this but I generally tip just for basic service that I feel comes necessary with ordering the food. Why should I tip $20 because I ordered expensive food? Is it any different to deliver a plate from Peter Lugars vs TGIF?

I have never not tipped. The service would have to be downright horrible. I could see it happening though…glad it hasn’t yet.

I always tip and usually generously. Why? a large sum, maybe even a majority, of their pay depends on tips. Do I agree with that system, no way, but thats the way life is and life doesn’t always make sense.

I am in that thought process too. It sucks as the consumer that we are responsible for it. I just hate being a sheep in any way.

I just use my better judgement, if they offer quality, friendly, service…tip

If they are snotty or act like it’s a big chore to assist me with w/e I may be needing their services for, fuck a tip.

im the same. if i get good service ill tip. ive tipped 7 bucks on an 12 dollar meal before cuz the girl was great. if they just sorta run in and u dont see them for 2 hours and ur sittin there for 20 min without a drink refill or something like that, then less tip or no top

That’s exacly how I feel but I still do not like the notion that we are obligated to tip because we are given the meal/service we payed for. This goes beyond food. Think of a bar? I am tipping a guy $1 for my $4-8 beer that I paid for?

liar! you didnt even tip the driver in vegas!! :mwahaha

Since I serve as an occupation while in college let me let everyone in a little something. First, resturants remember the people who don’t tip or tip poorly. I will leave the rest for you to imagine. Secondly, we get $4 an hour. Without tips we make nothing. The $4/hr goes directly into income tax and what not. We only work 4-5 hour shifts unless it is a split in which you work two shifts.

I work in a resturant where the avg. meal is around $29.00. There are still people out there who tip 10%, usually French-Canadians becuase that is their custom and people who come in with their income tax money tend to tip poorly becuase usually they are in fact poor. Most people, the majority of the people I wait on leave at least 20% of the bill total.

Serving is a LOT OF FUCKING work, irregardless of what you think you know. If you don’t tip someone becuase you didn’t get the attention you think you deserved then do not ever go back to that resturant or out to eat for that matter. Becuase you are the one we are all talking about back in the kitchen. If food comes out wrong, 98% of the time it is NOT the servers fault. Something as simple as having a 5 person table with hicks who constantly nag you for drink refils and beer and shit, take away from other guests. So take all of that into consideration next time you decide to leave a tip.

On a positive note, if you want to get into serving as a part time job, you make a LOT of money that has a LOT of tax advantages :ninja

While I feel bad, this is not my responsibility. You should be taking this argument to owner of the place who is getting slave labor.

I leave 10-2X%. Also, 10% is 10% more than what you are “obligated”. I say that because I am torn between paying a tip for just receiving my meal. That’s ridiculous.

Agaim, the work is NOT my problem. I go to an establishment for a meal. I pay for that meal and I should receive that meal. Anything above that meal SHOULD be at the discretion of the person paying for the meal. Recieving bad service/meal because of 0 tip is wrong, IMHO.

I have never ever yelled/mean to a server. You are right. However, they should check that shit to ensure it’s what is ordered to ensure a possible tip.

IMHO, making like $20-$25 an hour while serving clam platters at Red Lobster shows a lot of things wrong with this Country.

well after working in a restaurant and getting tips its ghey when people dont tip reguardless of reason, so unless your server was a complete prick you should always tip atleast 10% i usually go 18-20%

I don’t tip
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Misdaad/Pink2.jpg

Just kidding, I always tip, if I get bad service or bad food I just don’t go back.

I don’t understand that logic at all.

Guy A excercises Y - 1 effort = $Z
Guy B excercises Y + 1 effort = $Z

=

Bullshit

life doesn’t always make sense, you’ll drive your self crazy trying to justify everything. We are forced to accept many things in life that make absolutely no sense at all. You tip people that serve your food, K20 > *… it’s just the way it is, accept it.

That made me chuckle :haha

You have obviously never worked in food/beverage service.

A bartender or server makes a negligible wage per hour, their entire income is based on tips. Why should you pay their income? Because they are providing you with a service. That is how our society works. If you didnt have to tip them, the restaurant would have to pay them the equivalent of what they make on tips ($15-30/hr) meaning the prices of food would increase dramatically meaning you’ll be paying the same as if you were tipping anyway. Instead, you GET to tip and use it as a way to reward a server/bartender for good service, or if you’re a douchebag or they really suck, punish them for bad service.

I tip very well. Play your cards right and you’ll make it back up in free drinks.

I worked in a bar/club for over 5 years 3+ days a week.

I understand how it works. :slight_smile: I just disagree with how it is pushed on the consumer. It’s not my problem that people make min. wage. The establishment should not be benefiting from the cheap labor. But, it is what it its.

But, taking a step back. I am giving $1 to a guy who spent 10 seconds giving me a beer I just paid for. It just doesn’t seem right.

For the record, I tip 99% of the time and above the normal. However, as said, I will tip $0 if it’s justified.

That 1$ you’re tipping him on top of the price of the drink is part of his income. If you took away tips, employers would have to pay employees what they otherwise would have made on tips. The price of that beer would effectively go up $1 so you’d be paying it either way. And then there would be threads on the increasing prices of eating out! ;D

I’ve done the restaurant job thing, so I tip generously, unless it’s deserved. If the service is horrible (I understand busy nights), I’ll leave $1.

If with your tips you make below minimum wage, the restaurant legally has to pay you enough to get you there.

sometimes they even leave the cheese wrapper on the cheese for you! haha gotta love applebees