Poll: Food service takes a bigger tip than you gave

So I like to reconcile my credit card purchases every month and this month I noticed one of the bills for carry-out last time I was in Buffalo was incorrect. The bill was $22 and I gave $25 figuring $3 was a good tip for bringing the food up to the front of the place. It says $28 on my statement.

Do you guys check you receipts and what do you do if they are off?

If it was a mistake I would feel bad for someone to get in trouble for a couple bucks, but if someone is taking a couple bucks from each customer I hate to let it go.

Dont tip with plastic.

I’ve never tipped with my debit card, (I dont have a credit card, I know how to live within my means)

I pay the balance and tip in cash. You should never leave home without atleast 5$ cash, no matter how many cards you have.

Either way the reciept reflects the charge, if its more, dispute it

Well I get cash back on my CC and never carry a balance. So I don’t really understand your logic of not using a CC.

As for the not tipping on a CC, I have heard people that do that but in reality if you are going to check the statement you can just write down what you tipped and do the same comparison.

i always pay with cash

I don’t normally check that stuff, but I really should.

I would say just call in and talk to the manager. It may have been a mistake, and therefore won’t be a big deal. My ex g/f had something like this happen while waitressing in Hawaii. The person called in flipping out because they apparently didn’t remember leaving a tip at all, but $5 was left. My ex had no idea what happened, but all they did was accuse her of stealing. Pretty shitty considering she didn’t do it.

So yeah, call in and don’t jump to conclusions just yet.

I try to leave $5 minimum in cash regardless. Unless they sucked AND it wasn’t busy.

If they actually DID take more than they were supposed to, fuck em.

I’m sorry but waiters and waitresses make PLENTY enough money each night, I don’t get tips so when I give you one, fucking appreciate it no matter what I give you lol.

Part of me is thinking it’s only $3. Big deal.

I guess if they are doing it to every customer, it’s only a matter of time before one of the other customer calls. I can see management letting the first one go, but if the same accusation is made on the same employee over and over, they’ll be done.

Karma will catch up to them!

I’d say call. I’m sure a good employee with a clean track record won’t lose their job over a “mistake” if that’s what it indeed was.

They probably just hit the tip button on the touchscreen twice. Think double post. I’d let it go this time. There are old people that bitch about everything and if it really is a systemic thing they’ll be sure to hear about it.

I would contact the CC and open a dispute then call the restaurant and tell them you noticed a fraudulent charge and have opened a dispute.

CC company won’t even investigate it for that amount…just dispute it.

It’s possible that he/she just couldn’t read the slip (happens sometimes for take out, customer scribbles quickly) at least it happened a few times when I’d get tips for doing take out. I’d call it an honest mistake this time, especially because it’s only $5 and $3 (on $22) on a take out tip is great. Most people only give you a buck, which is cool too. It may have also been busy inside, so they hit the screen in a hurry and didn’t really take the time to check it.

If it happens again, I’d call them and see what’s up.

$3 bucks? Get a life.

I’d call the restaurant and talk to them about it first. I can see how you could key in 28 instead of 25 though. Hopefully it is a mistake and not a douche bag.

I always use my CC to pay, because I love the cash back. I always round the number off to the closest 5 or 0. That way when I get my statements I’ll know they didn’t add more.

I’d do it on principle.

Can I have three bucks? I’ll pm you my pay-pal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No doubt. $3 is not going to change my life, but I hate theives.
Plus I was bored this morning and figured I would start a poll.

i agree…

the other day i got a pack of gum… 1.49… my card was charged 2.09…

its 60 cents and certainly isnt going to make or break any aspect of my life, but I wanted to raise hell over the stupid corner stores cheating ways.

So annoying.

People do scam like that. Years ago when I delivered pizza, some kid was doing the same thing for deliveries- changing the numbers on the credit card slips to get bigger tips. He got canned. It’s probably a common thing. Report it- say maybe it was an honest mistake, or maybe it wasn’t. The manager will probably keep it in mind, and if it keeps happening, then someone is stealing.

I would just call the manager of the place and let him know. Tell him you don’t mind the $3, but that you just wanted to let him know that someone might be trying to pull a fast one.

stealing is stealing.

If this is actually the case, and that waiter is doing this to everyone, that’s a pretty big problem.