Reason #3252541241 Why Banks Suck Ass

So I checked my online statement today and saw a debit on my checking account for $350.00 which was for an HSBC credit card payment.

A) I don’t own a credit card through HSBC
B) I haven’t made any $350 payments to anyone in the last month

So after calling 5 different numbers (some of them more than once) I am waiting on hold with HSBC to get this credited. I’ve been on hold for 20 minutes so far. :carnut:

Banks Rule!! :ohyeah:

credit unions > banks.

1 mistake with the billions of transactions that occur every day? Seems like whining a bit to me. If they somehow refused to make the change , than yea, banks would suck, but they’ll fix it. If you don’t like the system, keep your money in your mattress.

oh i feel ya man… my bank took my truck payment out 2x yes 2 x, before it was even due, that put me in the hole bout 700 bucks so ive been living off of PB&J sammiches and forza 2 until my bank puts my money back in…

Thanks for the laugh. Nothing like less regulation and a much higher probability of having people with little to no banking experience running your bank to decrease the chances of mistakes. :lol:

<------ writes credit union software for a living, but has an account with HSBC.

Come on dude, this is MONEY, there should be NO mistakes. What if it had been for an amount over $1000 or even $2000 and over drew my checking account. How hard is it to check and recheck to make sure the account numbers line up.

Banks suck in addition for sending me off on a fools errand to 5 different numbers when I only need to dial the number that I called the first time after all the bullshit was cleared.

I usually find that people I know who use banks have more errors made (along with higher interest rates and excessive fees) than credit unions. NC State Employee’s CU FTW.

Just personal experience, and from the books that I’ve read, I probably wouldn’t go back. And if I ever did have a mistake like this come up, there’s a good chance I could get it cleared up in one phone call, with the excellent cx service I’ve experienced so far.

But thanks for your .02, good to keep in mind that the points you make :tup:

ive never had any issues with my banks (m&t early on and hsbc for the past ~10 years)… or with my cc company.

if you can’t deal with a simple MISTAKE, then seriously withdraw your funds, buy a safe, and take your chances.

:lol: :gtfo: :biglaugh:

There will never be 100% bug free software.

And even if there was, there will never be a human who can operate it 100% without fuckup. Doesn’t matter how many safeguards you put in place.

Getting the run around when calling the 800 number is bullshit though.

i hear ya… but i bet you didnt know the military pay system we use is from the 1970’s with ALL kinds of problems… the reason im saying this is, just cause a computer works all transactions, programs are flawed, and the most important factor… theyre MOSTLY all input by people, who fuck things up

:shrug:

I’ve never had an issue, most times its related to the client. Who’s to say someone else didn’t screw up and put down your account information, not really the banks fault then?

Just another reason that people shouldn’t live paycheck to paycheck.

It sucks, it’s annoying, but its just part of life, and you should be happy it happens as infrequently as it does. I’m sure systems today are light years beyond the old days, and I’m sure it wasn’t a quick call to the bank to get stuff reversed back then, its was plenty of letters in the mail and waiting.

Sure it’d be nice if you could get 1 number, 1 menu to get what you want, but when you think about the thousands of different reasons people are going to call on a regular basis, it’s not really practical.

Its the same as when people have a car that ends up with a problem. It amazes me how people can’t realize how incredibly complex these things are (cars or banks) and that they should be absolutely amazed and thrilled that the rate of errors is as low as it is.

:shrug:

Just a pet peve I suppose.

But the banks could make it just a little bit easier to fix these problems.

I don’t keep a lot of cash in my checking account, it’s mostly in my savings but that’s neither here nor there.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for “life sucks, you gotta deal” but I am allowed to rant like everyone else is so fuck you. :wiggle:

badazzss - I can’t handle the simple mistake as you can see. I have let loose with the profanity, I have pulled all my hair out and I am thinking about going on a muderous rampage of HSBC employees. Thanks for your expert analysis. :bloated:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/HJD596/Whambulance.gif

edited for better lulz

Ever since 1999 the lines are really blurred between all types of financial institutions anyway. You have banks, investment banks, credit card companies, even insurance companies, that all do the same functions.

i have personally seen some of the top 10 banks in the words computer security and dealt with their internal frauds…

you would be surprised how bad some of these banks are and its a mericle more doesn’t happen on a daily basis.

My gf just had a huge problem with M&T.

She called the number for balance inquiry. It was like 8pm it said she had like $200 available after the daily postings.

She spent 119 on car insurance, and like 12 at subway, 3 bucks a few times and then calls and said her account was -19, and the next day -165.

Apparently the phone system was wrong, and like 4 things posted 2 days later, and then these items overdrafted.

(Now yes, if she had online banking, or common sense to know your balance, it wouldn’t have happen)

So for each thing over draft they charged her $37 x 5 and then $10 every 5 days after.

Well when she called, the refused to remove any late fees, kinda bs in my opinion since I’ve had BoA and they’ve removed late fees when I’ve asked before.

So needless to say 173.45 later she cancelled her account and got a BoA account.

Banks suck.

That’s not the banks fault, that’s your girlfriend’s lack of ability to keep on top of her finances. Checks/purchases ALWAYS TAKE TIME TO CLEAR.

Maybe so, but it’s still shitty of the bank not to at least forgive a couple fees. I’ve had HSBC help me out plenty of times when I was an overdrafting poor-ass student.

When over the phone is said no pending transactions/everything had posted. That was not her fault no matter how you put it.

However, it is her fault for not having a better way to manage her account than the phone in service.