minimum wage increase

It did come down in the winter of '08-'09 but didnt stay down that long. $1.659 back then. When I bought my truck in 2/09 it was $2.039 a gallon.

Milk may have come close to quadrupling. That stuff has gone up a lot in the last 10 yrs or so.

True. I think its over $3 a gallon at its cheapest lately and I know it was around $1.79 a few years back.

Ive seen it for $4+.

This additude pisses me off to no end. Dont like your job? Find a new one. Plenty of places in the food industry with higher pay. Dont bitch about changeable factors in your life. Do something about it.

Being older than most on this forum, my memories go back a little farther.

1974 got a part time job at a local (now defunct) supermarket chain. Started at $.10 over minimum wage…A whopping $1.95/hour…Full timers there started at $1.00 more…And they could live off of it! Gas was hovering around $.50-.60/gal, and we thought that was a lot. A year before it was $.32/gal where it had been for years, until the first gas crisis in 1973

define stuck

Lol his definition of stuck is – too fuckin’ stupid to obtain a better job.

I might not have always made the best choices regarding jobs but I never worked for minimum wage or in the fast food industry.

Right now Ive got a really good job within a company that actually gives a shit about their employees and Im making decent money, especially for somebody with absolutely no experience or relevent education in the field. I started this job a few months ago at $4.30 an hour more than my previous dead end job. Now I have health insurance (cheap), life insurance (free) and a retirement plan (matched 401k).

I’m still training and learning on the job.

or <16
fast food hires at 14

i doubt <16…

he’s over 16 but I dont think he’s out of high school yet, so probably 17.

if they keep printing more money you will need more of it to use the same things.

look at movie idocracy they pay 1billion dollars for a drink. and its a 1billion dollar bill. it takes place in year 3030 tho so we have awhile before that hits use

inflation hurts us becasue it takes awhile before your job pays you more. but the cost of stuff goes up in one day… so you need 50k this year to proivide but next year everything cost more but you get paid the same wage because it takes awhile for you to get a rasie.

the american dollar for the most part goes down in value every year. i have seen over 10k in new 2012 $100 bills. and i still have 1970 bills. in 1970 my $100 would go futher. why because they print more and more. and go into debt more and more

^ Pitman, the economist, has spoken.

i have been. in the past 3 months of working there, i’ve put on ~25 applications in every damn place i saw with a help wanted or now hiring sign in the window. Hoffmans to auntie annes pretzels.

no other place will hire me right now, either because im not 18, or because i dont have enough experience.

go fuck yourself

1. you’re right i turn 18 next may.

My next question is how do you go into those places? Dressed decent? How do you ask for an application? Do you ask if they’re hiring or if you could get an application?
Take it from somebody who manages in the food industry. Go in confident, dressed right, and for the love of god never ask if they’re hiring. Not trying to knock ya, we all gotta start somewhere, but its a matter of how driven you are to get the job. The people who take the application always pick out things about you, and no matter what will judge if they’ll call you back just on first impressions.
Also don’t just look for help wanted or now hiring, your other mistake. Go everywhere, if it means you have to go home and fill out 40 applications, then fuck it, fill out 40 and bring 40 back, and then fill out another bunch. Places are almost always hiring, they just may not advertise it.
But don’t say you’re “stuck” you’re never stuck, just need to have the motivation and drive to make changes and get out of the unhappy situation your in.
/ramble

Here is an interesting piece of advice I came across on Reddit.

Long but a good read to see the perspective from the hiring side.

And this is simply for McDonalds.

I was a McDonald’s restaurant manager for a few years. I have sorted through tons of applications from people with little experience or job skills. This kind of entry level hiring is difficult due to the high number of applicants, and the difficulty in discerning between two candidates which will be a better worker. (If you are hiring for a professional position you could always trim the list by looking for someone with X, Y, and Z qualifications)

For example, one location I worked at would receive ~100 applications a month. At the end of the hiring process (which I completed monthly) I would hire 2-3 of the 100 applicants. And this is McDonalds, not exactly the most prestigious of entry level jobs. So how do you become the guy/girl that gets hired? I’m glad you asked.

Do you know someone that works somewhere that you would also like to work? If a current employee refers a friend to me, that resume is saved from the first round of cuts at least, assuming that your friend is a good employee that is not currently horrible at their job. However, especially in these types of jobs, people have more fun working if they work with friends, and if you are a good worker, you are probably friends with people who will be good workers.

However, just because someone can refer you (don’t wait for a store to say that they’re hiring either, get that resume in at any time) doesn’t mean you’re in. If a current employee hands me their friend’s resume, I’m less inclined to proceed. If you are looking to get hired here, you will end up coming here often to work, if it’s too inconvenient for you to come in to apply… I doubt the seriousness of your application.
So you have a friend that works at ABC, says to their manager “my friend is going to apply sometime today” and you show up with your application in hand, mention that your friend was going to put in a good word for you. If you look like a bum, hiring is not happening. I don’t want to see someone in a suit and tie, but something that you could wear to your grandmother’s for dinner.

I will ask your friend “do you think I should hire this person? Tell me bout them, etc.” - they don’t need to sell you, but they shouldn’t sell you out and tell me that their friend lacks motivation because of all the drugs we do on the weekends.

If you don’t have a friend to refer you, do all of these things anyways, but just be aware that it’s more of an uphill battle to get noticed. You will need to call and follow up and be proactive to a greater degree than if you were successfully referred.
It should go without saying, but always be polite, patient, and professional. If you patronize the store you are applying at, you should be a good customer, and people you are there with should also be good customers. If you speak with a front line person and say you are looking for the manager, know that that employee has eyes and ears. If the place is busy, the manager is tied up and you are waiting somewhere, try not to look exasperated that you have to wait, also don’t do bad fidget-y things like pick your fingernails, tear up business cards into little pieces, etc etc.

So you’ve applied, you looked nice, were professional, polite, patient, may or may not have someone to put in a good word for you, and you’ve followed up 5-10 days later to show that you are motivated to get hired. Great. Now I, the manager, sit down to sift through the resumes I have. Since I can’t discriminate on a lot of professional designations, as this is entry level work, here is how we move some to the bin quickly.
The resume should be typed. On white paper, doesn’t need to be high quality, but shouldn’t be newspaper thin. Black ink. Nothing fancy. Your name at the top of the page should be accompanied by contact information. The formatting should be consistent. If you need to make a correction, you retype and print a new copy (don’t write on it in pen). You should fill one page (throw in academic accolades, sports involvement, volunteering, skills, etc to pad it out). No weird fonts. The page should be clean (no coffee mug rings) and crisp (no fold creases or tears or other damage to the page). (As an aside, I have seen all of these things and worse, hot pink paper, paper that had been printed on the opposite side previously, pictures, etc - and all of them immediately went to the do not call folder)

The resume is your first impression (or second, either way it is important) with the hiring manager. You want to show that you care enough to make yourself presentable and if you can’t even keep a single page clean and crisp and well formatted, how much do you really care?

Once we’ve pared down the 100 or so resumes to the ones that are actually decent (notice that we haven’t even touched on content yet) we get to the nitty gritty. If the store has a handwritten application for you to fill in to go with the resume make sure you do 3 things. 1. Bring your own pen 2. Be prepared with all the information you might need (be prepared for the best case scenario - you get hired today and start next week) 3. Write neatly.

If you have sloppy penmanship, right or wrong, I am going to infer that you have sloppy work habits and poor attention to detail.

So you have a decent resume, a neatly written application, and your resume isn’t total trash. At this point I start picking out things that I like or don’t like, since I still have 15 - 20 resumes. If someone writes down that they are available to work only Mondays, Tuesdays, and every other Saturday afternoon, they are definitely getting passed over in favor of someone who will actually be available to work. Be flexible, but realistic.

After that, I pare down the list to about 10 just by the gut feel and reading the resumes. No helpful tips here beyond making that resume the best reflection of the best you that you can make it (but be honest).

I then call for interviews. The same rules of politeness and etiquette apply on the phone. If I get your voicemail and it’s some recording of you at a party - I’m sure your friends get a kick out of it, but I just hung up and threw your resume in the bin. If you don’t call me back for 4 days and don’t have a really good reason, sorry the position has been filled.

So I schedule an interview, you look nice, you are on time (5 minutes early is best), you are prepared, brought a copy of your resume, and a pen. Be prepared for the following questions:

Why do you want to work here? The answer is not"I need a part time job to earn money" - that is why you want to work. I want to know why you want to work here. I like to listen to music in my spare time, so I want to work in a music store. Etc.
What do you do in your spare time? Don’t delve into the intricacies of your hobbies, but summarize a few things briefly and try to give them more substance than “go on reddit, play video games, text with friends”

If you have a hobby such as playing on __ local sports team, how will you manage to balance that, plus other responsibilities, and work? If you tell me at this point that to keep up your job and other responsibilities you would need to stop playing the sport you enjoy, I’m probably not going to hire you. The dedication is admirable, but you will eventually resent the job for taking away that outlet of enjoyment and that’s a poor long term prospect.

I will skip over further standard interview questions, but whatever the questions, remember to be professional, be interested (body language and tone of voice are key), be honest and try to calm any nerves you may have.

The closing to almost every interview ever is the following “What questions can I answer for you?” If you ask nothing… you are likely not getting hired. Things you can ask about should include “Walk me through a typical day if I got hired here, what would my shift be like” or “What brought you to company XYZ” or “What king of training programs are in place for advancement” or “What is your favorite thing about working here” or other items that you are genuinely interested about.

Stay away from asking stuff about paycheques, holidays, time off (unless you have a scheduled family trip, etc. for a month in 4 months time) - these kinds of questions are not what you want to reinforce to the hiring manager. Who would you hire? The candidate interested in how much they get paid and how many Friday nights to I have to work, or the one who is curious about training programs and advancement.
After the interview, you should establish a time frame for next contact. If you don’t hear from them in the 3 days agreed upon, call them on the 4th day to follow up.
If you don’t get hired, ask the manager for their thoughts and if they would consider you in the future. This may be a long shot, but it takes literally no effort on your part to ask them to consider you at a later date, and they’ve already declined to hire you, so you have nothing to lose.

I hope I’ve provided you with some helpful tips in my wall of text, best of luck. Lastly, not that this is particularly helpful now - but it helps to apply ahead of the crowd. High School lets out in June and every June applications flood in for summer jobs (University in April), applying in March has infinitely better chances of success than trying to fight through the crowds.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/comments/13pliw/job_hunting_is_frustrating/

Since when do you need to have a resume to flip burgers?

usually dressed in clean jeans, casual button down long sleeve shirt.
every application i turn in is done in black ink.
i always write in the comments or whatever that application box is, something like “i have a full portfolio available upon request”. and i do have a real portfolio. resume, introduction letter, references, etc etc. all of it pertains to the automotive field.

Apply at sears especially since holiday hrs are here they will hire seasonal with option to stay on I did that when I was in high school, worked in hardware not a bad gig

good idea. thanks.