Fender Rolling - Any Interest in getting a expert?

Well this dude posted up his info on Supraforums, and I would really like
to get my rears rolled by a expert. Since I have never talked to anyone who
has really done this, and I no way would attempt this myself I wondered if
anyone else would be interested in maybe flying this guy in to do a bunch
of cars and splitting his travel costs. Just a idea, im definately in:) You
would probably only end up paying like 160 for a pair of fenders rolled.
100 for his travel and 60 for the service, not bad eh?

Service Available: Fender Rolling!!
What: fender rolling
Where: @ your place or mine
Why: fender clearance!
Who: All cars welcome. Luxurious sport coupes/sedans will be limited to rolling only** refer below
Cost: $60 depending on difficulty/pair of fenders (front or rear)
Or: $100 for all four corners depending on difficulty
Additional: If you want to pull your fenders (involves working the fender so you get more clearance), it’s about $40 extra per pair. Also, if you’re located anywhere out of Anaheim/Irvine/Brea, please pay for my gas and I’ll drive out to there.

Sorry there’s no guarantees on paint cracking (*nor is there at any body shop), but I’ve used a couple methods to get the job done and haven’t had a problem yet with rolling fenders. So any car luxury sedans or coupes will be limited to rolling only. If you need to pull, maybe we can work something out. That’s when it’s difficult and pulling will be more expensive. I have plenty of experience on 240sx’s, Corollas, S2K’s, and have recently done a Supra. (Reference: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh…ad.php?t=299999)

Note: Tool will not be rented out, so please do not ask. I prefer not to deal with the hassle because there is a risk that you might break my tool. Also, don’t know if this is the right forum, so MOD’s please move accordingly if I’m in the wrong forum)

James
[email=“my240@nismo.org”]my240@nismo.org

Stock fender
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/driftintoacurb/stevefender.jpg
Pulled fender
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/driftintoacurb/stevefender3.jpg
My own car, pulled ~1.5" and rocking some 17x10s

:pimp: now if I could just afford bigger rims!

:tup:

Do you know how often it requires a paint touch-up?

Why wouldn’t you just buy the tool and do it yourself? I believe Eastwood Co. sells it for around $300

There are no guarentees your paint wont crack, If it’s just a minor roll, then it should be okay. Some people are expecting to do a full roll and the paint NOT going to crack. Well it’s not going to happen

I have access to the fender rolling tool, a friend of mine has the one
you bolt to the wheel. I felt like I would do more damage than
good with the thing. I rather have someone who has done this before
and knows what there doing do this on my car.

That guy seems like hes far from an expert, but he probably has more experience than most… He doesnt have any guarantees against cracking either. I bet you could find a body shop around here, or maybe toronto that could do it as good or better.

Hes done Supras thats all I know, and body shops around here want to either cut or just repaint and none of them even have done it before… NO one does this around here, I want someone who has done it before.

Fact is urethane clear coat dries pretty hard, so if you are talking about rollin to the extreme you will need to get them painted. You can not ask clear coat to stretch and bend 90°

I did it myself on my 00 Mustang. Several people on here have checked out the quarters and it came out perfect. Like you said the paint will most likely crack when you bend the inner panel by over 90 degrees. I did not and would not use heat because there is always the chance of warping the entire quarter… if that happens you are fucked. One thing I did that no else seems to pay attention to is use 3M Seam Sealer between the bent panels. This fills the space and keeps out ALL moisture so there is no chance of rust. You would never be able to get paint in there after they were folded. People worry about paint touch up but, in most cases, this is not even a issue. The paint only chips well inside the wheel well. It doesnt come close to the outer quarter so none of the cars actual finish is affected. You paint the inside of the well where the finish is not visible anyway.

If you want help or advice look me up.

Yes I know this I just want them rolled correctly and ill worry about the paint later. I rather have the fenders rolled than grind down them down, although
alot of guys have done that without problems.

any time your changing the shape of a body panel …

i dont care if your rolling a fender, flexing a replacement fender to fit or hammering out a dent … EXPECT IT TO CRACK

the question is … are you willing to put a 100 dollar premium to fly this guy out, just to have the paint crack anyways ?

your probably better off finding a number of people that want their fenders rolled, get the money in advance, buy the tool, and then make a few junkyard runs to practice fender rolling on cars that are just gonna get crushed anyways … then go do everyones cars

2 people w/ the money and willingness to fly this guy out will pay for the tool !

No way I am doing myself, my fender lips are thick and I feel like I would damage the quarter panels/warp them if I did this. Good idea about the seam sealer, never would of though about issues of moisture on the inside of the well until you pointed it out.

My lips were double seamed and thick too. The trick is to be patient and do it very gradually. I bent it 1/16" on every pass. It was time consuming and took 20+ passes but the results are worth it all day long. I used a wooden baseball bat… no fancy tools here

Honestly, I wouldn’t pay that amount. Buy the time you are factoring in his round trip ticket, lodging, etc. Where does that put the price? LAFENGAS did his, and it was pretty easy with the proper tools, patience and a heat gun. Hell, the tool only cost about $250 or so. We could just get a couple people to put in on the tool and get together and do it ourselves.

I was considering buying the tool over the winter regardless to do my car.

If you guys really want to do this and we can get a few people then I may get the tool and do it for everyone.

since Spencers paint is roughly 11 years old I would bet it would crack. Spnce I’d just wait til your ready for a paint job. Connors did mine, double seamed & were rolled flat but had to do a little smoothing. Shit, have them do it then take it elsewhere to the paint job. For the time being you can always raise your bump stops to stop chewing up your tires.

My paint is close to Spenser’s in age. I think with proper use of heat guns, it wouldn’t crack. But if there are plans to repaint anyway, I would say wait until you are ready to paint and then just do it. It will take less time because you won’t have to be as careful.

Personally I would trust Josh to do it… we’ve all seen how much of a perfectionist he is.

You planned on getting the car painted anyway, right? As long as someone takes thier time and does it slow, it should be fine.

I agree ^