Figured out Best Drag racing import chassis

After months of wanting a new project I finally figured out one that would fit my needs.
AWD was looking real good but after duing research on it the 60’ and 330’ wasent really the same as a straight RWD.
240sx was looking good. but there are some weekness’s such as the head and IRS. seems like the only problem with the fast240s out there is the head and there is not really a “good” fix to the problem. and everyone knows IRS is weeksause for drag racing.
Chrysler Conquest is going to the new build for '09. solid rear axle, 4g63 goodness and possibly and auto tranny to hold ALOT of power

discuss… pros cons?

hmmm should be fairly stout. have seen a few out there. what axle you thinking about using?
are you running a class or just building for fun?

thoughts on rear suspension?

What is your end goal for times? What class are you looking to run?

Solid Axle is no doubt where it’s at, thats why I was contemplating building the Datsun 510. After seeing what Hybrid did with the IRS on the 240 with a properly setup suspension made me think that it might not be the biggest concern. The 4g63 is a great motor, but I am sure just like the sr20 it has its quirks. The SR20 head issue seems like its pretty much resolved with the latest combo from mazworx/hybridynamics.

what year were those solid axle too? I always thought they were IRS

x2

you doing a solid axle swap? If so then it dont matter what chassis you start with. I’ve seen some mean tubbed starion’s!

you should totally just buy my corolla :hsdance:

some encouragement :smiley:

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/5964-1980-Toyota-Corolla.jpg

http://www.bigflea.com/corolla/images/drag_corolla.jpg

http://www.buschurracing.com/images/racing-corolla4.jpg

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/te1.jpg

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/7165-1981-Toyota-Corolla.jpg

starquest’s definetly have an irs and a bunk as motor, nothing a 4g63 and a solid axle swap can’t fix though. not sure what the axle comes outta.

For some reason i thought the conquest had a solid rear end?

guess not back to the drawing board. I plan on building for a class. Anymore it seems pointless becuase every year the class always changes…alot

that was the reason why we started with 510
use the nissan titan rear end and should be golden. already four link from the factory so easy to build adjustable arms. but the grey area was if a carb car could be fuel injected and still run the class. no real answer so more less scrapped that idea.

building for a class just sucks. The rules are shaky and its damn expensive. The Datsun is all you if you decide you want to go RWD, Import with Solid Axle. I have the 510 I will let go for a good price. LMK

NOPI never got back to me when I asked about the issue changing from carb to FI.

I need to find a cheaper hobby.

I looked @ the 510 but the carb to FI made me scared…Maybe you can feed boost threw a carb still??

For now 9.80 on a radial.

When i get more loot 8.7 in turbo street form.

You wanna sell the 510?

I will sell the 510, right now I have no plans for it especially when I just sunk more money into the 240. If you want to run a class just double check that you can go carb to fi. I don’t see a place in the rule book that it specifically say you can not.

Look at the monster blower sticking out the hood of many 60’s/70’s hot rods and you will find your answer.

here goes a random thought. look into small or mid sized import trucks from the 90’s. something has to have a solid rear but who knows how strong it would be. then just swap a nice turbo motor in.

you might run into lack of weight issues. I think I may have read you are not permitted to use trucks in the class that he would be running

The truck thing is a thought… But the lack of weight on the rear end i would be better off with IRS.

Steve The supercharger sticking out the hood is boost after the carb…I know it can be done i dont know how good it works

weight is easy to add. and with truck, leaf springs would be real easy to make work.

I double checked the rule book. trucks are permitted to run turbo street.

here are the pieces that scared me when thinking about building the 510:

ENGINE: Reserved for 4 cylinder, 2 rotor, 6 cylinder entries equipped with a turbocharger, superchargers, a nitrous oxide system for a total of up to two power adders. Engine must be the some make as vehicle racing. Bolt on modifications only. Aftermarket cams, headwork, valves, cam gears and other internal modifications allowed. Motor-swaps allowed. Approved aftermarket
blocks allowed. No air-cooled entries. Wet sump oil systems allowed for competition, no vacuum pumps of any kind allowed for the oiling system.

So that pretty much says anything goes as long as I am using the same manufacture for the engine and chassis.

INDUCTION SYSTEMS: Any commercially available induction may be used, but stock
configuration must be retained. Ex: Fuel injected entries must remain fuel injected, with the same
type of injection used as delivered stock.

Now this statement is pretty vague but it would lead me to assume that you have to stay carb if you started carb.