FiosTV in Town of Tonawanda...

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/northernsuburbs/story/350886.html

Not sure if anyone saw this. Village of Hamburg and now Town of Tonawanda are on board…

psst Verizon City of Tonawanda we are like right there give me fios(or at least the option)!

I’ve seen a bunch of yards in Tonawanda that have “FIOS HERE” signs planted in them.

Wonder if they will stretch the reach into Kenmore? :slight_smile:

A Verizon guy going door to door told me Kenmore should have it this fall sometime.

must be nice i don’t even have Fios internet here yet.

Seriously, fuck verizon.

I’ve lived in two different areas of west seneca, and its not available in either.

I just checked their website, it looks like they jacked the prices up on the service.

The timewarner roadrunner service is pretty appealing for 44 bucks a month now…

my father is the head fios technician for the city of buffalo. he said they are working on having fios everywhere in WNY by the end of the year

What does WNY Fios TV have for HD? Comparable to Dish/DirecTV or the few shitty channels that Time Warner has?

There national lineup sucks at the moment. Dish/DirecTV still spank them in national HD.

how did it jump from hamburg to tonawanda, and fucking skip vegas? FUCK DISH and their no Kung Fu, or Rush having mother fucking asses. dropping 8 channels to pick up 10 shitty channels like the god damn fishing network?!?!?!! who the fuck watches that shit? (and if any of you admit to it, you will be banned)

Dish has shit for HD. they have a handful of channels and then a bunch of fluff. it was like there was an ebay auction for bastard child hd channels, and Dish was the only bidder.

KungFu HD was one of those fluff HD voom channels. Glad it gone. Fishing is just as bad though. Overall they’ve got a pretty good HD lineup with Buffalo HD locals coming soon.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/our_products/dish_hd/programming/dishhd_essential.jpg

Part of the problem with Kung fu and Rush was that they were HD lite channels, so not true HD. I thought they would keep them just add them to one of the SD packs.

I wouldn’t put it past Dish to add them back again in the future. They have removed channels before, reshuffled their channel order and then added the channels back again. So, it has happened before.

do any of you realize what an INSANELY LARGE job it is to run Fios everywhere?

it’s not going to be done overnight. they are replacing the copper network.

some of you make me lol.

is verizon still pulling out the copper lines to houses when they install the fiber or did they get in trouble for that and required to leave it?

I would have no idea.

They take the copper out from the pole to their box in or on the house. Everything else is left.

It’s bullshit that FiOS is not in the village of Williamsville yet. I am getting seriously irked with my slow DSL.

FiosTV is supposed to be pretty killer because it’s uncompressed. I was talking to some guys near syracuse who had it and said the picture quality is a lot better on fios than with directv/time warner.

Whoever told you that is wrong. FiosTV is the exact same tech as cable industry. They are using same grooming equipment and are using mpeg2. Also they will be using mpeg4. Compression of signal is a must regardless of the pipe they have.

edit

Also broadcast signal coming over ATSC/NTSC OTA typically is MPEG2 as well.

Maybe, but I’ve watched CBS HD OTA on one input and CBS HD via Time Warner on another input and switching back and forth between the two the OTA is noticeably better. Considering the pixelation on high speed stuff it’s obvious cable is compressing it more.

I haven’t been able to do a side by side comparison of Dish HD vs OTA HD since Dish still doesn’t have HD locals in Buffalo. Within the next month or so I should be able to.