FiosTV in Town of Tonawanda...

When the Bills played on Monday night and one of the locals picked up the ESPN HD feed, OTA and ESPN HD on Dish looked pretty much identical. Bad comparison though, as who knows how much it was compressed before it was sent out by the local station.

Yeah, I did the same comparison but didn’t want to bring up a live event because there are so many other variables involved… mobil trucks, uplinks and all the other technical stuff that has to happen to get a signal from a field in Hamburg to every TV in the country in near real time.

It will be interesting to see how Dish’s version of CBS HD looks compared to straight OTA CBS HD.

"Chimera said, adding that she believes the choice will improve quality and competitive pricing.

The agreement includes providing the town with as many as 60 service outlets in municipal buildings. "

Have to love goverment regulation. You can sell FIosTV if you hook us up with it. Why should municipalities have to pay for services like this.

My question is the pricing. Competition IS a good thing. we all know how adelphia/TW service is sub Dish/Direct as far as content. But do you really see prices decreasing from having competition?

having two companies competing for our dollars is a good thing and im happy for it.
i just want to see the PRICE differences in the same packages.

It may not look as nice since they are using mpeg4 compression. But most people don’t notice the difference too much.

I am not saying the quality is better by any means i should have clarified that but those who say signal compression is not used on fios or OTA are sadly misinformed. TW definitely applies more compression to there feeds.

Time warner hd does not look even close to as good as OTA.

I haven’t really looked at directv HD or dish so I can’t comment.

Time warner compresses different hd channels more than others.

i don’t like when people know more than me. lol. where did you get this info? do you have a link?

EDIT: this is dex.

F. I move in to my new house this week, and want to get TV/Internets hooked up.

I’d much rather get FiOS and their TV service (it’s cheaper, more reliable, faster than time warner), but the rep on the phone said TV isn’t scheduled to relese here until October 8th.

Carp. I don’t want to miss the football games for a month, nor do I want to settle for TW.

I think I’ll just end up living a month without TV :ohnoes: .

^ Well, if you’ve got an HDTV with a tuner built in and all you’re worried about is missing football for that month slap an antenna on the back. You can get both CBS and Fox in OTA HD with even a crappy antenna. I’ll sell you the silver sensor I have for $20 if you want it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NA6pZqgPL.jpg

Not too ugly, and it would only be for a month.

hd over the air ftw.

i have dish with their HD services and I still watch 2 4 7 29 on OTA for it’s uncompressed goodness.

OTA is sill compressed

Yes it looks better but there is still compression.

true.

true.

damn… screw fios TV, give the rest of us fios internet for christs sake.

I have seen the signs over on the other side of the 290 in the town of tonawanda but not on my side :frowning:

x2

Ditto

It will take vz sometime to get franchise rights in all municipalities

i seriously would run a damn cable to a block away where they can have fios if it meant i could too…fuck DSL going out every time it rains.

Where did you move Geoff? Is there cable ran to your house? Maybe its still on. Plug it in and find out. If its not, give me a call. :snky:

ahhh my father is finally getting his in WS next week, bout fucking time.

I believe Verizon just ran lines through our yards in Kenmore.
Crossing my fingers. I want it :slight_smile: