Fire from the cat.

So it was an interesting afternoon. Got my Sr running, timing set up, SAFC in etc… back to the way it was.
So despite everything being nominally “fine” I notice a misfire and thing well I prolly need to make some minor adjustment.

then horrible white smoke starts billowing from the trans tunnel.

Aparently the cat was totally clogged up, got white hot, melted my carpet and dropped some crap on to the floor of the garage and burned for a little while. As well the significant increase in backpressure didn’t help the turbo, ad is likely the cause of the slight missfire as things aren’t flowing like they should.

So I caught it in time and put out the fire…
inhaled some nasty stuff, including extinguisher powder…

At least I’ve got another cat to hollow out :smiley: it shall be gutted and put back until I get my hands on another one. The reason it clogged up is due to my #1 injector leaking constantly into cyl 1 and pure gas being forced into the exhaust. thats fixed now.
Could have been very bad had I not been paying attention.

Damn … that blows.

But then again … you taught me an important lesson.

Straight Pipe>Cat :slight_smile:

oh man, i opened this thread hoping for some crazy vid of you shooting huge fireballs out your exhaust…

oh well, its a good thing you caught it before anything terrible could happen.

test pipe FTW

Damn, I had no idea something like that could happen.

pics or it never happened

cops tend to check now days so a gutted cat is the best

Dammmmmmmn, that sucks bro.
BUT YOUR SIG GIF IMAGE IS SOOOO LONG I WATCHED IT 2 TIMES LOOK AT THAT GUYS FACE AFTER HE STEALS THE LOLLIPOP LOAKHAOWHRALOLLL
:fnf1:

FYI hollowing out/gutted cats OR welding test pipes inside cats is risky for a street car.

Spoke to a guy at Karbelt who told me that MTO are now using temp sensors to check cats when they do roadsides.

Keep this in mind.