Help with 2001 1.8t Jetta.... again

Have had no luck with this car yet. :banghead:

Car is now loud and sounds “choppy”

Currently throwing a misfire code for cylinders 1 and 4

I have replaced all plugs and coil packs,

help me, please?

EDIT: There is now a dark liquid on my exhaust tips, I don’t want to say oil because its to watery.

maf or ignition module.

I may just bump your thread when I replace my coilpacks and find out it still runs like crap too lol

WTF! Driving yesterday got up around 60mph heard loud thud/clank and had no power past 2000 rpm.

Car still runs and can hit redline when sitting out of gear.

So I got the downpipe fixed, stock 2.15", I had no problems for about 50 miles then my cel came on and I had no power past 4500 rpm in 3rd 4th or 5th gear. I scanned it got, misfire cylinder 4th and running to rich.

It was tuned with a 3" downpipe.

Any ideas?

So I got the downpipe fixed, stock 2.15", I had no problems for about 50 miles then my cel came on and I had no power past 4500 rpm in 3rd 4th or 5th gear. I scanned it got, misfire cylinder 4th and running too rich.

It was tuned with a 3" downpipe.

Any ideas?

clogged cat?

I can’t believe how unreliable these cars are…

^ i was just going to post the same thing…

I feel like they should have their own sub-forum… “VW 1.8 problems”

^sad truth^ how do I go about cleaning the cat out?

Try unscrewing the O2 sensors before the cat (idk if the car has them after because I don’t know these cars)

If all a sudden the power comes back then the cat is clogged and should be replaced or removed. Clogged cats can also cause the car to overheat and foul out plugs.

^will do^ I should add that it has severe difficulty starting, stalls out after bad idle bounce going from 200 to 1500 then stalling.

WHAT??? If you unscrew an 02 sensor the car is going to run like a bag of dicks

… I HATE THIS FUCKING CAR

Not necessarily, will it run optimal no it will not, but if the cat is clogged, the exhaust gasses cannot escape. By unscrewing the O2’s you give an exit for the exhaust gasses.

I’m speaking from personal experience with my Z28. The cat was clogged, car had ZERO power and started overheating from the backed up exhaust gasses. Unscrewed both O2s and now that the exhaust had somewhere to exit, all the power came back and the overheating stopped.

It’s a way to diagnose the problem, not fix it.

the 2001 and under are super schwag, but 2002 up seem to be pretty reliable

quoted because you said bag of dicks lol

replace the cat with a full downpipe get one off ebay, and see how it runs then get it apr tuned and see how it runs

Nothing changed in 2002. I wouldn’t trust any MKIV to be reliable. I didn’t have any “major” issues with my VR6, but I think I owned it from January 2005 to August 2007 and 56,000 to 101,000 miles and had to fix something like 17 things in that time. Coilpack, RCV bushings, alternator, radiator, e-brake lines twice, AC stopped working and never got fixed (was probably an ECU problem), clutch started slipping at like 78k, etc.

The Golf/GTI’s may have been less shitty as they were made in Germany and the Jettas were made in Mexico. :gotme:

Oh, and to stay on topic: Why are you morons suggesting a clogged cat when he ALREADY FUCKING POSTED THAT HIS CAR IS TUNED WITH A 3" DOWNPIPE AND HE CAUSED THE PROBLEM BY REPLACING IT WITH A 2" DOWNPIPE. OF COURSE IT’S NOT FLOWING PROPERLY.

DUR I HAVE NO IDEAS.

Half the problem with MKIV’s is that some of their owners are their own worst enemies. Your shit is probably running too rich because you choked it off and it’s not flowing enough air for the fuel it was tuned for, hence limp mode. Fix your DP or your tune and see if your problem goes away.