Flight 3407 Tragedy Thread *****

there are million reasons for this. Engine fires happen… If its an internal you can motor the fire out (meaning that the flame is migrating forward) … if its external (IE outside of the burncan/burn section) there are fire suppression systems that will take care of that.

The engines do really funny things… IE a flame out (loose the flame) you can build up a ton of raw fuel in the turbine section and exhaust cone. that upon re ignition you’ll get a wicked flame show (Harmless, but scary to see a 20ft flame rocket on the ground lol).

edit: Static on the vents, internal tank fires (Harmless in foam filled tanks), etc.

if a turboprop has all the componentry of a jet engine then why don’t they just make them jets? props are fucking obnoxious.

different applications require different types propulsion… and yes TurboFan engines are far far better (modern Jets)

I’m not sure. I’m guessing he was saying that if there was a fire on board, that it may not have been the reason why the plane crashed. Many planes have had fires, either engine fires, or inside the cabin, and have landed safely. UPS had a good size fire a few years ago on a DC-8 and landed safely in Philly.

^ Efficiency.

Yes, I’m just baffled that these Dash 8’s are a slightly modified Canadair CRJ regional jet. Why would they still make it in a turboprop?

With all due respect for the tragedy of the situation the press conference is going horribly. Gov. Patterson comes off like he is retarded and the rest sounds like an advertisement for government with all the “plugs” and “shout-outs” for various elected and appointed officials. There has been no new information regarding the crash or reaction to it.

LOL no way! turbofans (Modern Jets) are super efficient. I think the props are primarily for smaller planes, for what ever reason IDK, but props give them capabilities to land on grass runways (you can with jets but its risky business)

:shrug: got me dude. possibly political (as in company to company relations with engine manufacturer… ) IDK

They are great for getting in and out of smaller airports with shorter runways. They accelerate to the rotation speed in a much shorter distance. A turbo-prop is also much more fuel-effecient than a turbo-fan or turbo-jet when using them on shorter flights, like EWR-BUF

i agree. so much circle jerking. it is disrespectful. stop patting yourselves on the back, and tell us something of substance.

So the woman i work with that sits right next to me just got the call that one of her best friends was on the plane. She was 32 and 5 months pregnant. This is terrible. Everybody in here can so casually talk about it but you really don’t understand it until you see the aftermath first hand, i can’t even imagine what it must feel like to be the friend of or family member to somebody that was on that plane.

I really am convinced patterson is not only blind,but he is also retarded.

Already happened.

:frowning:

x’s 2 how can he “see” all these families when he can barely sign a piece of paper without burying his face in it.

really guys if you want to talk about him there is a topic about it

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65745

yes, im sorry. out of line for this thread…

Confirmed.

I went to high school with the girl whose house was hit. Her and her mother made it out. Her father was the 1 ground victim.

Just overheard people speaking of the same woman, this is definitely sad:(

My boss and a handful of others in my group here at work routinely fly that same flight a few times a month for business…that’s a little too close to home knowning it could have been them.

RIP to those lost…

its sad but there will be 50 diff storys and such…

I worked with a woman that was on the flight …