fml... h20 tank just busted...

… on thanksgiving day… yay lol

I thought it was in good condition. looks like the bottom rusted out.

With that said does anyone on here do water tank installs? I would like to take care of this asap. If not its going to have to wait till the weekend… which i dont want to do.

ugh that sucks… good luck getting someone to come out and replace it today, if you do it’ll probably cost you double of what it would normally cost.

Although, they aren’t that hard to replace. I think Sears is having 15% of appliances tomorrow, and hot water tanks qualify.

they will have that deal tomorrow

a perfect opportunity to go tankless.

I have an extra electric heater in the garage. Works fine, pretty new too.

How are those tankless heaters?

Im not going to do anything until tomorrow or saturday. I know a few installer who I used when I sold appliances for sear, maybe ill give them a shout tomorrow.

You’ll have to get the most heavy duty tankless they offer because the groundwater is so cold here in the winter.

Tankless are junk. It takes a 2 inch gas pipe to fuel the SOB and then you gotta run your water to get it warm. Year you can put a priming switch on the system, but whats the point if you gotta waste water just to get warm water. My .02

Consumer reports agrees with me.

dude that shit sucks. If you need a hand or help lemme know and Ill see what I can do.

Thank you god someone else gets it, they are not the solution for more cost savings too

Yea mine blew out this summer, not fun to clean up… Call F&D Construction on clinton, they did mine cheap and did a good job at it

I just finished pulling the old out… tomorrow ill get a new and do the install. The bottom was totally rusted out. It was 13 going on 14 years old. Did its job, crappy it happened now but at least its not freezing out.

Hmm… great article. I never considered/heard of the cons. Sorry for the bad advice.

good read. I like learning

I heard they are ok if you can use the old tank or some other sort of tank nearby so you have alot of room temperature water that will heat up quick. I was thinking of putting one in at a place I own where I pay all the utilities at. The room that holds the HWT is always about 80-90 degrees in the winter due to the boiler and being in a small room. I think it also depends on how far the tank would be from where the water line comes in from the outside.

that could work, but it would take a long time to heat 80 gallons to room temperature just by ambient air.

There is a company on ebay that sells a shitload of TITAN brand tankless water heaters, they include overnight shipping in their price.

I was looking at them for my apartment units. Here’s the deal.

You need to run a 220 electric line to them, you need to run an inline filter before the water comes into the tankless unit. Also you need the heaviest duty unit for here in NY because the groundwater is so cold in the winter. The guy from titan actually was recommending that people up north buy 2 units, and run them in series to heat the water properly! I see that they have a large unit that they claim works good up here.

So, if you are going to do the work yourself, you can buy all the parts from the Titan guy for about 500 bucks.

Or you can just buy a regular hot water tank, and keep doing what you have been doing. Some of the new tanks are energy star rated, so they have to be miles more efficient over your 10+ year old tank.

I have some 10+ year old hot water tanks here, and my gas bill is 28 bucks during the summer, and we have a gas oven as well. Honestly they don’t cost that much to run!

I was really considering a couple tankless water heaters for here, but now I think I’ll just take a 10% coupon to lowes, and pay someone $150 to install it.

10%'s work at HD too just so you know. Competitor’s coupons.

Yep I know, my brother is a realtor, we have access to the Lowes Realtor site, we can print them right from the house. Both places take them.

You can actually print one, and photocopy it over and over again to use at Home depot, because they don’t scan the barcode.

That’s cool and good to know. If I can’t get the new ones after feb 15th I might be looking you up