FMU or 370 injector for KAT

Ok just a quick question, I’m debating btw stock injectors and an adjustable carteh FMU or sr 370 injectors. This is gonna be on a ka24deT with a walboro.

In both cases its gonna be tunned by paul(dyno by metalex). What I’m not clear about is wheter or not its possible for him to tune the ecu with just 370 injectors to handle the 7-9psi. I’d hather have it that way because FMU are not as acurate.

Wojtek

Ill ask paul for you tomorow.

Good question. I am going the FMU as you konw, but i would like to konw your guys opinions as well.

i have heard of people succesfully running 370’s and an AFC as fuel management.

Thanks Adam, its gonna be the obd 1 91-93 ka24de. Having the ecu control things would be a lot better for both the powerband and gas milage as well as reliability.

I thought about the afc but thats still additional $$$ and it would still require tunning. I ain’t gonna just set things by myself hopping its ‘right’.

jjm hows the car, what turbo did you end up with and how many psi are you running since the install?

Wojtek

i taked to adam today and he asked his boss and he said that going with the 370’s would be the best way. then he car put a chip on are ecu’s and tune it form there (about 600-700) so i think im going to take that road. time to sell the FMU.
and i am using a T3 .60A/R and .63exhaust. its water and oil cooled. car is running and drivabul but its only boosting like 0.5psi if that. i dont have the waste gate hooked up. but the car seems to be faster.

What manifold are you guys using?

And jjm did you upgrade your fuel pump yet?

I got a custom manifold made by J&R trading for 550cash, then got it ceramic coated with my turbine housing for $200.

ya i have a walbro 255, got it awile ago from marcis

As jim mentiond the best route for tuning a KA-T would be to go with larger injectors and a hi-pressure fuel pump. As for the ECU a techtom piggyback chip would be needed and they go for about $400-500CDN.
With this Paul can do wonders to your KA-T.

Oh and a little comment about FMU’s there unreliable because it just uses a rubber diafram to regulate the pressure - boost ratio. Which means that with tempature change the ratio changes and causes irregularities in responce.

If you go the FMU route, make sure you get a high-pressure Walbro pump, not the regular kind. It’ll be less likely to fail from being overworked.

Well I’m probably gonna go with a jgstool.com stage 1 manifold and have it welded by my neighbour with a machine shop. Thats if the turbo I get will be one with an internal wastegate. Otherwise I’ll get radim(metalex) to make one for me.

And yeah it looks like I’ll definatelly go with the 370’s. Walboro is definatelly a given. Allthoguh I would like a quieter pump, having it in the talon I had to listen to its buzzing but I got used to it, still it be nice to have something quieter.

Wojtek

Z32 TT fuel pump?

actuly the i can’t here my walbro at all. but maybe if the boost is up then it will have to work more and then it will be lowder?

Ya the pump does get louder when it has to work harder on a FMU tuned car though on the 240 i have to say isnt that loud.

Well in the talon there was only one speed full out and and extra fuel that didn’t get used would also make more noise while returning to the fuel tank.

Wojtek