Fog Lights On while High Beams On

Wondering if anyone knows anything about modifying the relay/switch to allow the fog lights to stay on while the high beams are switched on a Subaru Legacy?

Also, are there any risks in doing this? Do I risk damaging the cars wiring, ect…?

The Fogs on the Outback give a nice lighting pattern for the areas along the side of the road, and the high beams don’t seem to hit those areas all that well.

Check Nasioc for this, there was a good write up I saw somewhere on my 2.5rs.

I can honestly say I scoured that site, and scoobymod.com as well as some other subaru site.

No luck on either. Maybe I’ll register and make a new thread.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1022

Should be the same across multiple platforms.

I searched “fog light mod” on scoobymods.com like 0829784y783578375 iTimes.

I got 5 results of people saying they did the damn fog light mod.

why not rewire it… so when you pop on the fog lights they are totally independent of the brights and normal lights?

I know on my car, you just short two wires and cut one that goes to the foglight switch, and its all good. I supose it wouldnt be that hard to find out what each wire does and how to make it work all the time when the switch is pressed, or just rewire the switch to dirrectly controll the relay assuming there is ignition power there, im sure its easy as hell if you have basic knowhow…

Well, my electrical abilities are fairly limited in scope, so I don’t really want to go out there attempting to re-wire things or make dramatic changes that aren’t clearly described.

The only thing I’d be worried about is if your low ang high are on at thye same time. If so, by adding fogs it may be too much draw for the harness,and it will be illegal. You’re not allowed more than 4 forward facing lights, excluding markers and blinkers.

Well, I’m not worried about the legal side of it, as it’s main point of use would be out on the rural roads here in Southern Erie county where you need as much light output as possible for safety reasons because of all the damn woodland creatures.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Should just have to add/splice 1 wire… I maybe able to put something together for ya on what wires to do what too; send me an e-mail of exactly what type of car you’re trying to do it on; and as long as you can read a wiring diagram and some basic notes, it should be an easy job. 97formulaws6@gmail.com

Could ya do something for mine too so the fogs are independant.
1999 Subaru Legacy SUS 2.5 30th Anniversary.

It’s pretty straight forward from the looks of things, I was planning on doing it to my Impreza this weekend. (Fogs with high-beams) It’s all handled via relays so it’s quite straight-forward.

As for completely independent, it might require a bit of extra work but shouldn’t be hard to do with minimal work.

i cant see the wiring to be too different from the impreza to the legacy.

I wire the fogs independeant on all my cars.

Its fun to blast ideots with there highbeams on the full effect. (my impreza has 6 lights to use.

in my wrx all it took was one jumperwire to be run from the fuse panel to the foglight relay. and since its handled by a relay like fuzzy said theres little risk of wire damage. its the Stock foglight relay.

the only tricky part is finding the right tabs to jump to UNDer the dash. not themost comfortable place to work for long periods of time.

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind being able to work the fogs completely independently of the rest of the lights on the car.

Have the option for fogs only, fogs and low-beams, fogs and high beams.

I’m just clueless on how I would actually do this.

On older Audis I used to pull the relay and jumper it with a short piece of wire.
As you probably know the old Audis had terrible headlights so you needed all the light you could get.:biglaugh:

I put factory fog projectors on my 95’ legacy. pulled the wiring switch and harness from a junk yard car. I hooked my fogs as if it was an dealer install because I don’t know how they would act if they were seperate from the headlights.

I believe if you take the yellow/blue wire that comes from the fog switch and connect the yellow blue to the red high beam wire from the headlight running it thru a relay.

haynes has the correct wireing diagram I couldn’t get a good picture or scan so I drew it quick