For all you office worker/professional types

I’d like to get opinions on a situation I’ve been put in.

On the advice of my roomate I sent in a resume for an IT job at UB. I was told to “contact me to set up an appointment for an interview for a student position”.
I got this email on a Friday afternoon, Monday I called left a VM with my number and emailed later with my availability. Well come Wednesday, I still hadn’t gotten any response, so I called again left my number again in her VM.

I’m pretty pissed at this, and feel its pretty damn unprofessional since she wanted the interviews to be set up this week. Ive already called twice, and sent two emails, wtf can I do at this point? Nothing? I dont want to seem like a pain in the ass before Im ever interviewed, but it looks like Im never going to get an interview.

so…advice?, opinions?

or should I just look for another job?

maybe they already filled the position… you tried to contact them enough…i’d stop now and wait.

[quote=“FightinMike”"]

I’d like to get opinions on a situation I’ve been put in.

On the advice of my roomate I sent in a resume for an IT job at UB. I was told to “contact me to set up an appointment for an interview for a student position”.
I got this email on a Friday afternoon, Monday I called left a VM with my number and emailed later with my availability. Well come Wednesday, I still hadn’t gotten any response, so I called again left my number again in her VM.

I’m pretty pissed at this, and feel its pretty damn unprofessional since she wanted the interviews to be set up this week. Ive already called twice, and sent two emails, wtf can I do at this point? Nothing? I dont want to seem like a pain in the ass before Im ever interviewed, but it looks like Im never going to get an interview.

so…advice?, opinions?

or should I just look for another job?

[/quote]

Sometimes it takes a while for places to get back…

yea, i could understand that, it took her almost 2 weeks to ask me to come in for an interview. The problem is she wanted to have the interviews this week, which is almost over.

Now that Im not being slammed with tests, Im starting to think my old boss torpedoed me on this job. I always had problems with this guy for no apparent reason, he plays favs. quite frequently, and didnt like me. I put that job on my resume, and it was an IT job at UB as well.

you never know dude. she could be on vacation or something.

Mike she probably has your resume up her twat…

She probably can’t speak English.

2 tries is the max i do

If you are going to work in education, get used to it.
They are in their own little world that doesn’t follow normal professional practices.

[quote=“ILCisDEAD,post:6,topic:25272"”]

Mike she probably has your resume up her twat…

[/quote]

More likely Ferg torpedoed my ass and Im dead in the water for IT at UB.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:3,topic:25272"”]

Sometimes it takes a while for places to get back…

[/quote]

This is the absolute truth. Here is something you have to understand.

Work is happening all the time, all day, consistently. Frequently the last thing on anyone’s mind is hiring someone new. We’ve had people interview here and even though we wanted them, we didn’t call them back for two weeks just because there was always other shit going on :stuck_out_tongue: She said she wanted to set it up, so she wants to set it up.

And being persistent till you hear a definitive “NO” is rewarding. A friend on this board called a company for 4 straight months about a chance to internship… after 6 total months, they finally got back to him about it. But instead of an internship they wanted to hire him full time… and that’s what they did.

Don’t give up and think you are the ‘shit.’ you will have to eat crow sometimes before you can get what you want.

my current boss told me to send him my resume but pretty much offered me the job on the spot. I called for weeks and weeks to get an update because I was ready to quit my job at the time and out of the blue one night after business hours he finally had the chance to call me back and offer the job to me. He went a month or so without an assistant but was just too busy to get the ball rolling. be patient!!

[quote=“sureshot!,post:11,topic:25272"”]

Work is happening all the time, all day, consistently. Frequently the last thing on any one’s mind is hiring someone new. We’ve had people interview here and even though we wanted them, we didn’t call them back for two weeks just because there was always other shit going on :stuck_out_tongue: She said she wanted to set it up, so she wants to set it up.

[/quote]

saved me from saying it. :tup:

An interview is the most important thing on the mind for the candidate, but is rarely even in the top 10 list of things for a manager to get around to.

Keep looking around while you wait to hear back from the first place. Keep all your options open during your search, and don’t count on just one prospect to play out.