For the inspection Gurus, Emissions

I found this cool link: What emissions tests?

I read somewhere that if a vehicle is 25 years or older it only needs a Visual Check and Gas Cap check. There is no tail pipe test anymore for vehicles that are this old?

I was looking at an 81 pickup and it doesn’t have an emissions sticker, so I would need one (eventually) for Allegheny county. Just wondering how the test was conducted. The link above says it only needs the Visual Check and Gas Cap Check.

Can anyone verify?

Thanks!

needs emissions / inspection to register in Allegheny

Did not click on link. If the vehicle had no cats from factory you are good. however 1981 had cats. 25 years is a joke.

Drive under 5,000 a year get exempt from emissions. fuzzy law.

When you click the link, it is for a site that allows you to input your county, vehicle year, and type. Click Calculate and it tells you what Emissions tests your vehicle needs.

I put my 1993 Truck in and it says Two Speed Idle, Visual Check, Gas Cap Check.

I put 1981 Truck in and it says Visual Check, Gas Cap Check.

Just wondering if the calculator is broken or if because the vehicles are so old it doesn’t matter anymore.

I guess I will call the guy that does my inspections to be sure.

The visual test is going to look at all emission equipment that is supposed to be there. If anything is missing or disconnected you fail. Find a cool inspection mechanic if your cars been tampered with. Rumor in the industry is, in the next couple years all vehicles up to 1995 will just get visual and gas cap test as they are going to phase out the old emission machines. good luck

your truck will still get the 2 speed test. that 25 yr rule is complete bs. they been saying it for how long now. only car that does not get sniffer test is anything pre 75. then they just get safety test.

i can see the pre 95 machine going away. a lot of the machines are breaking-- no one is fixing them because it is not worth the money to do so to inspect one or two cars a week.