Ford key made

Can anyone here make a key to a 1997 Ford Taurus based on the vin number? My uncles stationed in Germany and his wifes car took a shit. He found this Taurus w/ no key for a good price and wanted to see if I can help him out. Also wanted to know if the key would have to be chipped to the car if it even had one.

Please no off topic crap like I made up the story to steal my exs car and drive it into the river. If you can help me, great, if not I’ll tell him no luck.

i dont know if you could do it by vin
but im sure you could get a new ignition for it
and there wouldn’t be a chip, they added those like recently
somewhere around 2000 i beleive
but i could be wrong

yes off the vin i believe you can but it has to be in your name and you need photo id. i know you can do this with gm

When I lost the key to my old ZX-6R, I just trailored it up to a locksmith and he made one up for me in less than an hour. Maybe a mobile locksmith could help you out? Don’t know if its the same deal with cars as with bikes but just though I’d throw that out there, GL.

i am sure a locksmith could. just call the dealer tomorrow explain you lost the keys to your car while moving

I did it with my car. But its not a ford. I know its usually possible though.

i lost the only key to my civic and the dealer made one based off the vin, but i needed my liscence and the title of the car. if you can prove you own it you should be fine it was only like 8 bucks.

Problem is car is in Germany and the only way he’ll buy it would be if I tell him I can get one. Which even then the title would be in his name and across the ocean…

go to a ford dealership and ask, it shouldn’t be a problem

I’m guessing a locksmith can do it as well

if all else fails put a new ignition in

my 91 camaro has a chip in the key.
so does my 96 cutlass.
but my 97 grand am dosent.
I guess it depends on the cars

i just called the guys at our ford store:

1 you can do it but you need to get a locksmith
2 ford has a 10 year window and will only let them cut keys back to 1998
3 he said he doesn’t think it should have a chip so it should be pretty simple to do

are you sure the key has a chip in it?

there are ford dealers in germany. The taurus and SHO were also imported over there as well so the car will not be new to them.

I think a new key is like 70 or 80 bucks.

GO TO LOCKMAN ON ELMWOOD

They won’t rip you off if it doesn’t have a chip, but if it does they did 2 keys for my 98 cobra for $80, I believe thats what ford wanted for one, they have a scanner they plug into your car to do it.