Ford / Toyota partnership in the works?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,238950,00.html

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061226/UPDATE/612260404

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061226/NEWS99/61226023
Foyota, or Tord? :biglol:

there goes toyota.

god i hope not

“Ford Motor Co. President and CEO Alan Mulally flew to Tokyo last week to meet with Toyota Motor Corp… Mulally, a former executive with aircraft maker Boeing Co., is an avowed Toyota admirer who drove a Lexus, Toyota’s upscale brand, before being tapped to lead Ford in September.”

lol

Well thers already Chevota with the Geos, old novas, Toyota Cavalier, Vibe-Matrix connection so why not help out Ford as well. Toyota just dont tell all your friends that you banged the fat and ugly american chick from the bar last night.

^ What he said. My wife and I bought her Prizm with 10k miles because it was a Toyota with GM resale, aka, we got it cheap. Every time I did any work that got me beyond the outer sheet metal though all the parts were stamped “Toyota”. Brake calipers, suspension arms etc.

But what did GM learn? How to take a great, reliable, comfortable car with a nice interior for it’s time like the Prizm and turn it into the turd that is the cobalt. With GM union problems they should just close their doors and pay Toyota for rebadge jobs. The cars would be better built and probably end up being cheaper.

I disagree. They should get some design and production engineers that can put cars to market that people want.

But then they’re still something like 2 grand in the hole PER CAR because they have to pay for all the union contracts. “You get what you pay for” applies. It’s hard to design and build a superior product, at a similar price, when you start out 2k in the hole. You have to make up that 2k somewhere, in design, materials quality, fit and finish… somewhere. The consumer doesn’t care that you’re paying for some retired person’s health care, especially when that same consumer is working at a non-union job dishing out a couple hundred a month for their own health care. That consumer wants the better car, and right now that’s not coming from GM or Ford.

^ no shizznit

DETROIT (Reuters) - The chairman of Toyota Motor Corp. met with the chief executive of Ford Motor Co. but they did not discuss the possibility of forming any alliance, Japan’s top auto maker said on Wednesday.

Why does it always come back to the union? The company signed these contracts also. Let’s talk about the huge salary and benefit packages of the executives that Toyota doesn’t pay. What about layer upon layer of management, purchasing, lawyers etc. that Honda doesn’t have? How can you blame the union for poor decisions that management makes? Union members don’t get million dollar life insurance policies, sweetheart stock options (back-dated), private jets, rediculous expense accounts. The union doesn’t make GM pump millions, or billions, into a project only to abandon it at the last step before production. I’m really sick of the union bashing on this site. If you have never been on the inside you really only see one side of the true picture. That is the media side. Ask me in person for true stories about management wasting more money than they pay in wages. Or about “direct orders” to use out of spec supplier parts. Granted the UAW does share a part of the blame, but the companies make all the decisions, and the unions get most of the blame. If you want to start a “BASH THE UAW” thread go ahead. This thread is about cooperation between Ford and Toyota. Rant over.:rant:

Personally, I dont blame the union itself, rather the institution of unions in a broad sense.

But yes, management is not without blame.

And getting back to this:

DETROIT (Reuters) - The chairman of Toyota Motor Corp. met with the chief executive of Ford Motor Co. but they did not discuss the possibility of forming any alliance, Japan’s top auto maker said on Wednesday.

Its sort of like your buddy getting his balls busted the next day for trying to pick up the ugly chick at the bar, and hes like “Nah man, we just talked for a bit!”

ha!

100% covered by the company FTW

someone is a union member, union bad, right to work states good

riiight because the unions dont go “give us what we want or we go on strike” They get paid way too much for standing on an assembly line.

i think that they should all buy each other out. and just have one automobile company. and just have differnt sectors…

it would never work.

i am in for toyota and ford working side by side.

Fuck you :2fingers:

Then why did the company sign the contract. Why didn’t they hire off the steet and replace the union workers? Why is Dunlop offering another contract? Also, there are no assembly lines at Delphi Lockport. The work is not as easy or simple as most of you seem to think.

The problem is the american philosophy all together. Everyone wants the biggest slice of the pie they can get for doing the least amt. of work…which is why there are so many layers of management and executives. Everyone wants a title which will give them a “right” to increased wages and benefits. Unions were designed to maintain the quality of a workforce and working conditions. Now they are the reason quality has gone down and the workforce has to be dwindled. I just never understood why people dont take a wage/benefit decrease to keep their job. They would rather make more for a year and have no job in the future then take less and have a longer term of employment. American Ideals are what is killing american companies.

i wish i worked in a union, so that i could Bitch and someone is sapposed to care while i bitched.