Ford With Overflowing P/S fluid...when shut off

:smash2: OK, The lady drops off her car (1999 Ford Taurus OHV 3.0) for me to work on and “tells” me that the power steering pump is shot, and hands me a new one tells me thats all she wants put on. [rant]this car is shot, the trans slips = barelt any trans fluid on the damn dipstick), the brakes grind, not a squeek or a grumble but a gut wrenching GRIIIND, it clunks over the slightest bumps, the oil is barely on the dipstick and is as dark as the pits of hell, the engine looks like shes drvin it through nothing but corn fields, I could go on[/rant] I ask her how she knows, she replies that a mech. told her. I ask what the symptoms are and she just say, “ITS THE PUMP” Arrggh.

Sooo, I replace the pump, in the middle of doin so I notice that the pass. rack & pinion boot is not how its supposed to look (crooked like the inner tie-rod broke) I grab the boot and try to wiggle it. Well, when I grab the boot I hear fluid (p/s) squishing within. Now, I'm thinkin that the pump was probably fine and the rack is just suckin in maaadd air from the pass. seal...from the pass. tie rod crappin out. So, I finish the pump install, fill it up and start the car. The fluid gets sucked in FAST (must have been pretty empty :rolleyes:) So, I top it off again while its runnin and start to bleed it doing the "lock2lock". Start to quite down, top off the fluid, take it for a drive, added a bit more. 

NOW, the problem....I shut the car off and the fluid comes pouring out if the resv. So, Im thinking that there is ALOT of air still in the system....? Now, could the seal be causing this, or could it just be from pretty much everything being empty? Also, I have not tried to vac. bleed the system yet. Any info is greatly appretiated.

I’d imagine if there was an air leak somewhere down in there, it would stop the fluid from flowing correctly. I’m no mechanic, but your assumption sounds pretty good to me.

Im pretty sure its from being empty. I had the same thing happen when i put a new steering rack in my car. After doing the lock to lock thing some more and adding more fluid it stopped.

blump…kin