Fort Erie NASCAR Track (Canadian Motor Speedway) *Construction: 2017*

FORT ERIE - The man behind the Canadian Motor Speedway project is banking on a groundbreaking by the beginning of winter.

Executive Director Azhar Mohammad said while the results of the Ontario Municipal Board’s decision haven’t been released yet, he’s remaining optimistic.

“There really wasn’t any opposition,” he said of the hearing that ended June 28. “(Opposition groups) didn’t have the experts and (their points) were more opinionated with less facts to back it up, so I think we did a pretty good job.”

He said he expects the results to be released any day now and if everything goes according to plan, a special groundbreaking ceremony could happen as early as this fall.

“It would take a couple of months to do the planning, but we have our teams in place,” he said. “Realistically, there would be no brick and mortar, but maybe some dirt moving and pre-grading work.”

He said he would like to coordinate a date with NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon — a critical design consultant for the track — to have him present at the groundbreaking.

Major construction would most likely be held off until after winter, said Mohammad, as the colder temperatures and snow cover provide limitations as to what can be done on the 821-acre parcel of land adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth Way.

He said one of the first steps following a groundbreaking ceremony would be addressing Miller’s Creek, a 30-centimetre-wide creek that would cut through the one-mile oval.

“In order to move ahead, we have to move the creek. That’s the first undertaking of the project from completion point of view,” he said.

Mohammad said they are expanding the creek to a width of 60 metres and are featuring it within the oval complete with vegetation, a fish habitat and enhanced natural features.

He said he recognizes the OMB has to approve their proposal and that their decision isn’t appealed before their plans can move forward.

“Every dollar we invest into this project without OMB clearance is a dollar at risk,” he said, adding more than $11 million has already been spent on pre-development costs. “We want to make sure we have all of our approvals in place before we start.”

And before any groundbreaking ceremony, Mohammad said a final drawing of the speedway has to be submitted for approval.

“We’ve started 25% of that, and even that is under risk,” he said. “We’re trying to crawl back time.”

The OMB website had the status of the Canadian Motor Speedway case listed as open on Tuesday.

OMB communications consultant Karen Kotzen said in 80% of cases a decision is issued within 60 days.

Fort Erie Mayor Doug Martin said he had hoped for a response sooner.

“I thought the evidence in support was pretty overwhelming,” he said. “We’ve had a pretty challenging year with some of the decisions the province has made this year, so moving forward this would be a great boost to the town.”

By the numbers:
$400 million – total project cost
$11 million – pre-development costs
65,000 – capacity of grandstand seating
821 – acres of land including racetrack, camping area, parking, natural features, commercial complex
2014 – targeted completion date

Hopefully this actually happens, certainly further along through the process than the track in Syracuse (or so it seems). I would love both to be built, more tracks is ever a bad thing.

Anyone got the square Summer 2016? If not I’d like to buy in on the pool.

Mods, might want to remove now dead from the title since the developers are still pushing forward.

Thread title changed :tup:

The article doesn’t say where the funding is coming from, but hopefully they’ve locked it in again.

I love the idiot comments in the article… this one sounds familiar doesn’t it MPD47…

There’s progress, destroying a creek (not to mention hundreds of acres) for a sport that creates air, water and noise pollution, for a few part time seasonal jobs. Shame on the politicians who claim to care about the environment. Local food movement? Kind of hard when all the farm land is paved! Glad I don’t live in Fort Erie. Hopefully the entire thing flops.

The locals who claim to be environmentalists who have no idea what they are talking about ARE THE BEST.

WHAT WILL WE DO WHEN WE RUN OUT OF GAS AND CAN’T TRANSPORT FOOD! YOU CAN’T GROW CROPS ON A RACE TRACK! DUH! :ham:

Jeez, I remember going to that last meeting a few years ago. Holy shit, what a seriously mounted opposition. Hopefully this time around is a bit smoother.

Keep me updated. I’d love to go to another if available.

Different track Jason.

We will find something else combustible.

Not sure if any of you guys have heard the news yet. The Canadian Motor Speedway got approval today! There are certain requirements it must meet, but CMS has agreed to all of them. Some including noise control and a few others. Biggest issue is getting the tax payers to pick up the tab on qew interchanges and road reconstruction. 65,000 seats is one hell of a traffic jam on Fort Erie’s 2 lane roadways.

The track official Website now has a day counter added to it!:

http://www.cdnmotorspeedway.com/

Here is the article from the star:

TSN:

Niagara News:

http://www.bulletnewsniagara.ca/2012/11/05/updated-omb-rejects-all-appeals-against-planned-canadian-motor-speedway-in-fort-erie/

St. Catharines Standard:

Fort Erie News Paper:

http://www.forterietimes.ca/2012/11/05/much-anticipated-decision-about-canadian-motor-speedway-released

Heard it this morning on the way to work but forgot to post something.

:tup: to more racetracks in the area.

This is HUGE for anyone who loves motorsports!

Awesome! :bigtup:

However…

It’s believed the speedway group has not asked the provincial government for financial help yet, but may ask for government support to upgrade and expand the highway and ramps near the speedway.

It’s been so long since we’ve had any detail on exactly how much public funding they’ll require. I hope they can get it :tup:

And I’m glad they beat out these guys:

the Citizens Coalition of Greater Fort Erie, which initially opposed the speedway in hopes of preserving the rural land as agricultural.

Sandy Vant probably has extra sand in her vagina this morning. And yes, that really is the name of the woman leading the opposition to the racetrack.

Hopefully when we choose a day (and place a deposit on it) at this track we’ll actually be able to keep it :oj:

Not only that, Im hoping the prices are reasonable. There are a bunch of places in the states and Quebec that offer friday night all you can drift for under $50 a driver. When this track becomes more concrete I would like to gather a few fellow drifters, suit up and shave, get a proposal video done and see if we can get something like this going. Lappers are obviously going to be welcome at the track from the beginning but us “Hoonigans” need to show our professionalism towards the sport. Im hoping Formula D shows interest in this track or even a FD feeder series.

Really not seeing how this will aid any benefits for Buffalo. The track is on the other side of the border. The only thing I see getting any benefits would be the Outlet mall. Buffalo has nothing else to offer to these people.

Oh Yammy… lol.

Really?

You were asking why people pick on you so much in that other thread. It’s really not your typos and horrible spelling, it’s the utter stupidity of statements like this.