"FRAUD ALERT" HSBC

FYI Texts are being sent to customers of HSBC telling you to call a number to verify your account. Two of my children received them within 5 minutes of each other. I called the number back from a different phone (blocking my number) and got a prompt telling you to press 1 to verify account information or press 2 to cancel your account. I immediately hung up & called HSBC. As it turns out the person I was talking to had it happen to him while I was on the phone with him. It IS NOT coming from HSBC.

Ironically this happened within hours of finding out that someone hacked into my credit card account and charged a bunch of stuff.

Needless to say I will be moving everything from HSBC real soon.

BOA just issued a ton of new cards due to being hacked… My wife and I just got new cards in the mail, after getting new ones last month… only your mattress is safe.

Social Engineering FTW!

I’m pretty interested to know where/how BOA lost all those cards I just got a new one today.

That text message thing has been happening for a while now…

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

http://www.social-engineer.org/framework/Computer_Based_Social_Engineering_Tools:_Social_Engineer_Toolkit_(SET)

:tup:

Why’d you guys hang up on me? I was just verifying your accounts.

Not just HSBC people, I’ve never had an account with them and I got the text too. I bet someone hacked verizon or something and is just taking advantage of the fact hsbc is pissing ppl off right now

i havent gotten 1 of those calls in a while but I was getting them a few times a week. No texts tho. Asking to verify my HSBC CC info. too bad I dont have a CCwith them

been happy with M&T for a long time now

I have citizens and i got a call asking for my hsbc number or my card will be deactivated. I did some googling and the calls are coming from atlanta. I even called hsbc report a scam phone number and i got some indian who barely spoke english so i said fuck it and hung up.

I came into this thread expecting to read a rant about hsbc “taking my money” when it was really the account owners negligence or ignorance.

I usually just text them my ss back.

This is really on the low end of these kinds of attacks…

Send out a large number of mass messages…setup a VoIP phone system and wait for idiots to call in…

It must be somewhat effective because they started doing this 4-5 months ago if not longer.

There is another attack going around where someone from Microsoft calls you and walks you through “fixing” stuff and you actually install malware whole thing is run out of India.

Thanks for your response Christian, but I am neither ignorant nor negligent. I actually have an alert on my account that automatically sends me an e-mail on charges made to my account. I NEVER let my card out of my sight.

Must get awful lonely in that Ivory Tower you’re living in!

Lol works every time

This is something new?

What is ignorant is pulling your money out of HSBC because some 3rd party phisher didn’t use the name First Niagara, or Key.

Cool story bro, welcome to 2011.

What? I didn’t say that you were… I saw the title of the thread, and usually when people say something like “bank/scam” in a thread title it’s usually a story involving something which was totally avoidable by them. I was commenting on the fact that the first post WASN’T a post like that, that’s all.

After re-reading my post I can see why it was misunderstood. A better phrasing would have been:

“I came into this thread expecting to read a rant about hsbc “taking my money” in a situation where it was really the account owners negligence or ignorance. I’m glad it wasn’t”

However, the view from my ivory tower is fantastic. :smiley:

We got a call from HSBC, I had to do a double take and think about it for a minute.

I haven’t had an HSBC account since I was like 16 years old and it was a joint one with my mother. Scammers.

They also need your DOB and Mother’s maiden name sometimes, so I always include that too.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. <3

Don’t forget to include 3 digit code on the back of cc.