FREE 40 gal gas Hot Water Tank

FREE

Put in a new Hot Water Tank last night so I have my old one in my garage. Its a gas 40gal GE from 2008. It still worked but was slow to recover. Could have been from sediment on the bottom or its just had enough and ready to kick the bucket. I’m just going to put it out to the road this weekend. If someone wants it for scrap or what ever then you can have first dibs.

Does West Seneca require you pull a permit to replace a water heater like Amherst does? If so, be careful about just putting it to the curb. I’ve been told Amherst watches for them at the curb and checks to see if you pulled a permit or not.

I know when I replace mine the old one will get thrown out at a friend’s house in a town that doesn’t require permits. :slight_smile:

Tell the inspector to obtain a warrant to enter your home.

Id purposely put tanks out to the curb just to mess with them. Good luck on the free unit should be perfect for a garage or something.

I have no idea on the permit. Not worried about it.

On side note. The efficiency regulations on hot water tanks are changing this month. If you need one get it now if you can find one. The supply house my brother got mine from had 5 left on Saturday. He tried to get one for a customer Monday afternoon and they didn’t have any left. What once was a $400 tank now cost close to $700 because of the changes. He cant even warranty the old style ones anymore instead you will likely get a credit towards a new one from the manufacturer.

Can someone explain why a permit is required from what JayS described? That’s a little nuts… I could see if it was something that you pay tax on, but a hot water tank… C’mon now Amherst

It is really hard to enforce a permit when it is inside of the home and you are replacing not adding to the structure.

Anyhow, I still have an extra hot water tank if anyone needs or wants one. I looked up that I actually paid $250 for it and I offered it up for $150, oops. I will split that difference since it is just sitting around if anyone wants, $200. It is a scratch and dent model that was originally like $600. It has never been installed, but is dented on one side. /Thread hijack.

Just more nanny state bullshit. They’ll talk about how dangerous it is if installed incorrectly and how they’re just trying to protect us but really it’s just another fee they can collect.

I figured, thanks. Asked my mother about this since she just replaced the tank in her house, and lives in Williamsville. The plumber knew about the permit situation and removed the bad tank from the property. Good man!