Free College for Buffalo city schools?

So NYS doesn’t have any money

Buffalo schools have been run like shit for years because of corruption and other bs…

So now if you graduate and NYS will pay for your college w00t

what the fuck is that shit.

i have to bust my ass and i pay 100% outta pocket.

dont give em free college, give em a fuckin boot in the ass and tell em to stop being lazy fucks and get through school so they can live baller and have all the bitches they want.

just sayin. i hate the free hand out crap.

I thought it was a private organization that was funding college for them.

By the way, I’m for this. There are so many other opportunities that people who went to non-city schools have received that kids from city schools haven’t. This will help make things more fair.

Oh yeah, INB4THESHITSHOW

Just say no kiddies.

If I was a rich kid in the suburbs I would game the system and transfer in to a city school for the last month.

I don’t believe in free hand outs, however I bet a lot of inner city people won’t even take advantage of that.

This is grossly unbalanced. There are plenty of kids in the suburbs that have just as hard a time getting college funding as city kids.

I understand the benefit for the areas in Buffalo and what it could even do to bring people back to the city, but still.

Not paid for by the state…

“The Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo and Say Yes to Education, a national nonprofit, are teaming up for the initiative. The goal is to offer full or partial college scholarships to city school kids over a 20-year period.”

http://www.cfgb.org/

I was going to say…this isn’t being funded by the State and I’m sure it won’t pay in full for schooling. This is a good thing. Kids who normally wouldn’t go to school because they don’t think they can afford it, will at least start going to school. I think that the Buffalo schools are doing such a shitty job at teaching kids that helping them get a better education will be beneficial to everybody.

What do I know though, I never went to school, don’t owe any student loan debt and I am on pace to make triple figures next year…I guess I am the 1%.

I’m looking at the bigger picture.

Yeah there are plenty of people who had a tough time paying for college from both the city and the burbs.

However, kids in city schools are generally put at a disadvantage from Kindergarten simply by the fact that they are learning in a sub-par school district.

To me, giving them college funding is just a way of compensating them for it. Kids from Williamsville schools for example have an advantage in that they had better schools from the beginning.

Let’s be human beings guys and try to help others instead of always taking the attitude that things aren’t fair.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

:clap:

But how much of that money will be wasted if the kids can’t produce in college? It’s not like magically they’ll figure it out and be successful in college. Even if they graduate from the city schools, that doesn’t translate to them being prepared for college. I like the idea and really really hope that this helps motivate the city schools to shape up and boost their graduation rates, but the odds of that happening are just not likely. If anything, I’m sure some shady techniques will be utilized to get more kids through the system, just like the rest of the country has done the past few decades.

Racking in that $749 salary, eh? lol, i kiddddddddddd. I know what you meant

Honestly, if 5 more kids graduate because of this program it is worth it IMHO. However, in the grand scheme of things, it’s going to take more than 5 kids graduating to make this successful.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

lol @ salary. 100% commission right here and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

My biggest issue with this is that the poor areas don’t even prepare their kids for day to day life, let alone college.
Giving the bankers $1T for fucking up the global economy instead of doing things like helping elevate education in areas we’ve neglected for generations is plain stupid.
The quality of education offered to kids shouldn’t be tethered to their surrounding tax base. Just like our healthcare shouldn’t be tethered to our employment because that produces a double jeopardy issue.
Most everyone bitches about how the poor leech off the working class but we don’t really provide any other option, do we? Instead of pumping BILLIONS into entitlement programs for the poor, maybe our capital would be best directed at solving the core issue? Hrmmm. Naw, I must be nuts to suggest such a thing. :wink:

^^Agreed. I just foresee a lot of money being blown away here because these college bound kids probably won’t have what it takes to hang around long enough to earn a degree.

I agree man. Don’t even get me started on all of the things we wasted money on instead of using that money for education. :cough: Iraq War :cough:

No, but they’ll sign up, get their Tap check and split… EVERY semester and take up space on class rosters. I had to X-register @ ECC, FULL roster of 32, and there were 12 when we were done, and only 2 dropped.

Maybe they’ll put some sort of stipulation in saying they have to maintain a certain GPA. A strict policy too. Only one semester can be below a 3.0. If you have two, you’re done.

I think it’s awesome you’re hustling and doing well, seriously. I just hope you’re stocking up and saving some of that because as I’m sure you know, your check is only as good as the economy is healthy. Inequality in education and opportunity will likely cause your revenue stream to bleed out, eventually. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe not.

I used to think people saying what you just said were nuts. Now I realize I was the one that was nuts! The rich are killing their goose that lays golden eggs (middle class) and the middle class are doing the same thing to the class below them. It’s a “race to the bottom”. 8/