friend wants to mod. 12V VR6

a friend of mine owns a 2000 VR6 jetta and has a magnaflow cat-back on it and wants some more power. i suggested adding a GIAC/AWE chip/intake and mild street cam…

…he doesnt want to supercharge/turbo it due to cost, he just wants 230-240whp and im pretty sure chip/intake/exhaust/cam would do it…

who makes cams for 12V? i am looking and cant find anything…help me please

teee hee hee, how you overestimate…

really?

VR6s are that weak? idk much about them, thats why im asking

I think they may net 170 ish at the wheel stock.

I think at the crank is about 175 on the 12v on the 24v i beleive is around 220 at the crank? Might be a little off tho. Going to need a bit more work to hit 240whp

more like 150 to the wheel stock, 174 hp/tq to the crank.

there are people who have a vr bored to a 3.0, every bolt on imaginable, and still arent past the 200 whp mark.

good luck. FI is the only way. intake/exaust/camS/chip is a good start though… usually you cant really mod these cars because your spending all of your money fixing them when they break lol.

t0000000000ning

http://autotech.com/

200 WHP is about the limit with bolt-on’s. The VR6 is a stout motor so it boosts well, but the head does not flow well so there is not a lot of NA potential. For cams: Shrick, Cat, DSR, TT etc etc etc.

Click me. Cam list about 2/3 down.

MKIV VR6’s have a dual geometry intake manifold and a higher compression head gasket so they’re making a bit more than the MKIII’s. MKIV’s usually make about 160WHP. Intake/Exhaust oughta be good for about 15 more.

Exhausts: http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/0412et_exhaust_comparison/
Intakes:
http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/0411et_intake_comparison/

I know KIT is a bad word on NYSPEED, but if he wants a no hassle way to achieve 240whp, then here is the answer. http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/catalog/kinetic-motorsport-stage1-mkiv-turbo-p-1093.html

It is upgradeable for more, but is factory reliable and virtually bolt on for $2950. The VR6 is not cheap to modify.

As JAM said… intake, cams, exhaust, and chip may net about 180whp.

Wow, that’s even cheaper than VF Engineering’s stage 1 supercharger kit, which yields about the same gains. It’s actually about $800 cheaper. :jawdrop: (I know, staged modding is a ricer thought around here, but it’s a nice kit.)

Thats a very nice looking kit.

yea i put down 164whp in an obd2 vr6, with giac chip, catback exhaust/borla muffler, intake.

cams and a few other goodies might get you up to 180-190, but deff not 240whp

the route i would go— v1 blower, catback, c2 fuel setup with chip. put down 230 maybe 240ish wheel and call it a day.

also the kit jaeger posted is pimp too :headbang:

yea thats not bad for a “turbo”“kit” in terms of price. but it is a lot less than the S/C kits i was looking at for him…boo poor intake designs.

Are they really that bad? I just picked up a 97’ VR6 as my daily driver and im hoping that its somewhat reliable.(identical to the one you’re selling).

Stupid stuff usually breaks, easy fix oil leaks, window regulators, sometimes hvac controls, dash lights. All pretty easy fixes. Watch out for wheelbearings as well the front is a PITA

step 1. sell the mk4. they are heavy and underpowered.

step 2. if you must have a vw get a 92 or older. in my case i would get an 84 or older. my 1980 weighs in at 1900lbs and i put a 16v in it with some cams and have 150ish and it scoots…

if you were smart for the money you would buy a honda…

wow this thread makes me feel good about my bone stock 178 WHP 3.0

Or my 200 WHP 3.0. :slight_smile:

Granted I would think it would next to impossible to get 240 out of that motor N/A. At least not without dumping tons, and tons of money at it. Even then that would be iffy.

Tell him not to buy a header,research tells me that the stock one is designed quite well and there is literally no gain.

:word: Gasket match the stock exhaust manifolds. It’s been dyno’d at a 9 whp gain. Other than the labor it’s free too.

fixed mr fuzzz