Friends home burned down...

Last night my friend’s house burned down and I have to say it is one of the saddest things I’ve ever been a part of.

My buddy Pat has been through so much. His father passed away while he was young, he live with just his sister and his mother. His mother and sister went to Florida for the holidays which left pat alone to watch the house.

Last night, after a little skiing at Kissing Bridge; Pat, a few kids, and I all came back to his house. We were all very tired, no drinking nothing bad we just were watching a movie.

We decided to stoke up a wood fire since we wanted the make the house feel a little more homey and nice. After 2 hours or so we noticed the house had some smoke in it so we put out the fire in the fireplace. However we could see the fire glowing through the wall and when we walked outside we noticed the chimney was engulfed in flames and the roof was starting to catch on fire…

We got everyone out with time to spare, and we tried grabbing as much of the important things as we could on the way out. However, we all stood hopeless outside as we watched the fire wipe out the house and every single memory that was shared inside. Due to the roads being sloppy and it being 3 am, the fire department didn’t arrive until it was too late.

Pat lost more that just a house, he lost his home and all the memories he shared with his father.

Please put your prayers out there for Pat and his family, were trying as best we can to help him but I just wanna make sure my buddy will be okay. He has been through hell and back and he deserves the best.

Thanks for the read…

Very sorry to hear… our house burned last year on new years day as well… which is kind of wierd

kind of know what hes going thru, it sucks :frowning:

Chimney fires are no joke… Once that creosol catches fire there isn’t much you can do.

sorry for the loss. Just remember that fire only takes possessions, while it may be sad, he still has the memories in his heart and head. Be thankful that you all hadn’t fallen asleep before noticing.

That sucks. At least everyone made it out, and you guys could grab some stuff. Wish 'em the best…

That’s really awful to hear. That is a tragedy I would never want to go through.

^ I agree be glad you went outside when you still had time, you all are very lucky.

Very sorry to hear.

Sorry to hear.
Items are replaceable, lives are not.
Glad to hear everyone was ok.

sorry to hear

That really sucks, sorry to hear. To bring this full circle, my sister, and brother in law came to work today so I could inspect her truck, my brother in law owns a company called “Emergency Enclosures” They were the ones that boarded it up, and we talked about what happened. So when I clicked on this and read it, it gave me a pretty large freak out.

you know what… i am not close to the situation but there are positives amongst the losses.

The home i grew up in burned down maybe 8 years ago… we still owned it but rented it out… the house was old and weathered.

In the end, the insurance paid for a modest but new home to be built and my family moved back into it together. Even though it’s hard right now, there will eventually be a sense of renewal… provided things are on the up and up of course.

Damn, that sucks. It’s a good thing everyone wasn’t asleep yet. Just out of curiosity, what kind of chimney was it? Masonry, SS pipe?

Sorry to hear. Good thing everyone made it out safely. Wish them best of luck.

Damn :frowning: I hate to hear this. At least everyone is ok and some stuff made it out.

my condolences

I’m very sorry to hear. I as a fireman or 7 years. Chimney fires are a pain in the balls. Its a good thing you guys got out ok. Thank god for that. Sometimes they will just smolder for a while before catching, and it is too late. As it was stated, things can be replaced, people can not. My condolences to the family that lost their home.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully things work out for them.

Bummer.

my heart and pray’s are with them.