Front brake rotor stuck.

I have 1998 nissan altima and no matter what i do i cant get the front rotor off. I have tried beating it , PB blaster, and heating it. Anyone have any ideas. Also i heard on some cars the rotors dont just slide off, i looked and i dont think anything else is keeping it on but i could have missed something. Anyone have a car like this where the rotors just didt slip off and if so how did they come off?

Sometimes rotors will have threaded holes in them so you can put a bolt through it and push it off the hub, maybe look for that

what did u beat it with…

ive never had a problem with a big ass sledge.

Make sure there isn’t a screw holding the rotor to the hub. Some cars use them. Just want to make sure that you didn’t miss it if it’s too rusted to notice. Otherwise PB Blast or heat and a hammer has never failed for me.

i was hitting it with a 4lb hammer give or take. i put a bolt in those holes and tightened it. it got super hard to turn then just gave way so i probally striped those holes out. should i get a bigger hamer?

You could try lowering the jack and using the cars weight against the rotor a little bit…

do they make a specific tool for this or no?

Also you can put the lug nuts back on and tighten them down if they are tapered nuts. Sometimes that will turn the rotor slightly against the hub and loosten it. But sometimes it ruins the nuts.

They do,

Its called a bigger hammer. But thats kinda abusive, so id go with a combo of heat, and strategic hitting.

I had to cut the ones off my Expedition. Check out this thread:

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41809

sometimes it takes a couple hours of heat and abuse.

Gee sounds familiar. At least I got new hubs.

this has worked EVERY time i have had to do it… usually only takes a couple of minutes and no pain!!

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BrakeRotors.html

you are basically pressing off the rotor… do a couple of turns… then back it off and turn the rotor… you need to “walk it” off the hub…

you may have to spin & repeat on differant areas 2 -5 times

you need to hit in between the studs not the back of the rotor.It will come off. if it does not do you have access to a air hammer.hit in between the studs with a air hammer and they will come off.you might break the rotors but fuck it. I can get it off for you but it would cost 15 dollars for a brake evaluation

Joe you guys charge for an evaluation?

We charge for the brake eval.However if you get the work done we take the evaluation off.If someone needed a rotor knocked loose i would just charge the 15 dollars.we measure everything,test the fluid stuff like that.Alot better then some places I have worked who charge 45 bucks for a brake eval

YOU couldn’t get my rotor off :frowning: FAIL.

use a big hammer and stop being a pussy.

I have broken many rotors into many pieces trying to get them off

the only problem with the bigger hammer method is that you can get to a point where you are messing with the wheel bearing and can damage it/ball joints

using a MAp gas torch to get the rotor cherry hot and then hits usually can work 2

Hammer time, get a big one