fuel problem, HELP!

I have an 88 nissan sentra (carb). in the spring i was almost home and i ran out of gas, i started the car and somehow managed to get to the gas station about 2 km down the road. the car died a couple of times getting there though. filled it up and it would crank but no fuel. turned out i blew the FP fuse and cooked the harness for the fuel pump. changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and added fuel system cleaner. the car ran for about 2 days. once i hit the highway it died again, blew the fuse. so i said sqrew it and parked it and drove the 180. i was trying today to start it again and nothing, figured my FPR was messed. got a different one from pink n pull. still nothing. it will start for a second if i pour fuel into the carb. any ideas on what the problem could be. i really want to get it working properly for winter. any help at all would be awesome, thanks!

oh and those couple days that i did have it running, there was fuel pouring out of the charcol canister. thought that was a bit strange

I think you put the return hose onto the ventilation line and it was dumping the return into the canister.