Fuel problem??

I brought my car home today from storage because my truck is becoming very not safe to drive (wheel is about to fall off and it likes to sway alot in the road). Any who, It sounds like the engine isn’t getting fuel or something. If I rev the engine up for a few times at high RPMs it runs fine for like 30 seconds, but then it starts to sputter and stalls out. I don’t know if it is a carb problem or something as I don’t know dick about carbs. I’m goin in for an interview tomorrow at a new place and I gotta get the car on the road asap so I can drive my ass to work. Taking the back roads to Darien Lake is one thing…driving down transit in traffic is another.

Bumpidy…any help is appreciated.

Definitely sounds like something the fuel system. Maybe a clogged fuel filter or something is fucked up in the line.

I would think it would choke at the top end with a clogged fuel filter (unless the pressure is more than enough to overcome temporarily)

maybe the jets are gummed up.clean the carb

It’s a carb man. That’s like a voodoo/blackmagic/ouija board device to kids that grew up EFI.

sounds like you need to clean that shit out. or u have shit in the bottom of your tank n u suck it all up when u rev it.

werd thanks for the input guys. :tup: Now I just need to learn how to clean the carb lol. I’ve never taken one appart before. I was thinking it was something with the carb. I have the Haynes manuel for the car sooo…looks like I’ll learn lol.

dump carb cleaner in there, stand back just in case of fireball, but it should help, and I thought you where TBI?

If not just replace the line running from you tank to your fuel pump, assuming you have a mechanical pump, if not dump tank, put fresh gas in and see. Went in order of easiest to most pain in the ass.

:word: Naw its not TBI. 305 with a 4bbl carb.

Also make sure your pushrod for your fuel pump is not loose, I had that happen once, pain in the fucking ass. There was so much play in it that it would only partially pump the pump.

Idle circuits are plugged. Break the tamper caps off the idle screws and take them out. Try to use a can of carb cleaner to blow those idle jets clean. Umm, well maybe you shouldn’t do that because then you have to readjust them. Carbs are a voodoo thing, I can’t explain what to do with it. You just have to go by what you hear and what you see and what you smell.

Best thing to do is take the carb out, disassemble it, and then soak it in carb cleaner. Then reassemble with new parts. Be warned, getting the top on a q-jet with the metering rods hanging through the gasket is a bitch.

Its definately something with the carb. it seems as though it is not getting enough air with the fuel. I dont know if it is a bad air bleed valve or something? I dont know jack shit about carbs really…well…nothing when it comes to taking them appart anyways. It was rinning fine for a while. but now it is really hesitating bad. At low rpms it is like barly running…but if I give it gas, it hesitates then the rpms catch up and its fine at higher rpms.

how can you not know about carbs buying a carb’d car!!! my bike magically ran again today its carb’d and the only thing i know is to remove it and clean it, thats all i can tell ya

I didn’t realize knowing everything about the car you buy is a prerequisite.

lol it was just a joke

I know. Well I changed my spark plugs/wires/fuel filter/air filter. Its running better than it was…but still shitty. I’m gonna try to get as much shit out of the carb today as I can without actually taking it appart. Damn I need an LS1.

hey, i have some stock GM carbs here if you want to try to take on apart so you dont screw yours or anything…