Need help with a fuel related problem

I was working on my '64 Galaxie again yesterday and I ended up getting the car to spark but for whatever reason now I’m not getting any fuel. Before it was getting fuel but no spark, and now its the opposite. I pulled the fuel line out of the carb and turned it over twice for about 5-8 seconds each and nothing at all was coming from the line. Last weekend when I was turning the car over, the engine bay at least had a smell of gas to it when turning it over.

I had gotten under the car to try and find the fuel filter today and started at the fuel pump (right next to the engine block) and followed the line all the way to the tank and came upon no fuel filter. I also had gone to Advanced Auto and asked for a fuel filter which had came up empty handed being that they don’t have it in the system. Is it possible that there simply isn’t a fuel filter on the car? If there is, where abouts is it?

Also when I started restoring the car, I had siphoned out the old gas and put in about 3-4 gallons of new gas. Now the car is stored on an incline and the front wheels are approximately about half a foot above the rear wheels. Is it possible that there just isn’t enough fuel in the tank since the gas is shifted towards the back of the tank? or should that not be an issue?

If anyone has any suggestions on where to start with this issue please let me know!

put some more new gas and some sort of fuel additive in this way theres enough gas and you can hopefully get the new and old gas to mesh

Your car should have the filter on the bottom of the fuel pump. If not, somebody may have replaced it with a later pump that doesn’t have a filter. If that is the case they should have put an inline filter in there somewhere otherwise you don’t have a filter.

For as long as the car sat you should flush out the tank and the lines. And rebuild the carb. I guarantee it won’t run worth a crab on a carb that has sat for thirty years. If they ran it out of gas or it leaked out of the carb relatively quickly it may be okay. There is also a very good chance that the diaphragm in the fuel pump is shot so it won’t pump anything anyway. Your fuel pump and filter should look like this.

http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/45045.jpg

Fuel filter cartridge that goes in the pump.

http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/507452.jpg

Alright that is actually how the fuel pump is (filter on bottom). I was messing around with that trying to get that bottom off but I figured i should do some research before taking it apart… I’m curious on how to go about flushing out the tank/fuel lines? I was thinking about hooking a compressor up to the fuel line on the pump side and blasting air through it but I’m not sure if that is efficiently cleaning out the lines. As far as the tank, I was planning on dropping it down and then cleaning it but what exactly should I clean it with?

Sometimes you have to “prime” the pump. You put air pressure into the tank (use a air nozzle on a air line) and blow into the fuel fill opening, while cranking the engine over.
Try that jimmy…jams.

I’d jack the rear of the car, take the line off the pump, and drain it out from that end. Empty the tank and dump some fresh gas through it. If it’s really plugged you may try carefully flushing the line back to the tank with air. Take the gas cap off when doing this.

I have a restoration car too. We pulled the tank to work on the under body. We used a kit from por15 to redo the tank. Its pretty much a new coating going on the inside of the tank.
Thats if u have an older tank or what not or if u just wanna prevent it from getting bad.

[quote=“woood454,post:7,topic:37734"”]

We used a kit from por15 to redo the tank.

[/quote]

I’m curious what kit exactly? Also how did you go about doing the whole procedure in re-doing the tank? I’d definitely like to pull the tank, get all the old crud out and get some new sealant after cleaning the inside of it out… so any information on that would be appreciated.

http://por15.com/products.asp?dept=12

Check it out. Also, MAC’s Antique Auto in Lockport may carry this kit in stock.

PO Box 238 - Lockport NY 14095
800-777-0948 (U.S. and Canada)
716-210-1340 (Local & International)
716-210-1370 (FAX)

MAC’s Site

You’re probably gonna want one of these too, and they are free:

http://www.macsautoparts.com/catalog_covers_angled.jpg

Top row far right looks like you. :stuck_out_tongue:

PS if you can, just walk in the showroom - they’re open Saturdays too.