Fully built NA KADE Probs

Hey guys.

Symtoms are as follows:
Engine will start for 5 seconds then die. If I start it with a bit of throttle input then it will stay running. It revs all through the rpm but won’t hold a steady throttle input without stalling. If I start it and leave it as is it will die. I pulled all 4 plugs (NGK Iridiums) and they are all black. (Rich) What is the problem that is making it ru n so rich. It reaks of fuel and puffs brown. The IACV has been taken off, cleaned and re-assembled and re-installed to the motor. The motor is fully built NA and electronics have not been altered. No sensors played with or anything. Full emissions has been left alone.

Whats new:
Fuel pump 255 walbro in tank
New lines from tank to fire wall
New fuel filter
New Ignition coil
New cap+rotor+wires+plugs

So ignition and fuel is all new. What sensor do you think it is?

you probably don`t need that wally unless your going turbo or high comp pistons

Don’t need what? Be more specific when posting. This is a serious thread and I welcome all mature answers please and thank you. No disrespect intended!! Motor plans to stay NA due to internals used (12:1 Comp)

get DA 1 to help he KA happy lol

So I’ve heard. Well mr. Expert (DA1) Whats going on with my pile of crap?

Stock fuel pressure regulator? Might not be flowing enough fuel at idle to compensate for the walbro’s added fuel.

Try switching back to the stock fuel pump or throwing on an aftermarket FPR if you have one.

Besides the high comp pistons… what other work have you done to the engine?

Are you running beefy cams? Enough to fuck with engine vacuum? Causing it to run rich…

Noooooo I alwayz wanted to do a high comp KA, u beat me to it man lol… it could very well be your maf messing with u due to the difference in compression so id throw on a super afc. you should delete you stock fuel pressure from the rail altogether and run an aftermarket fuel pressure reg (a must) as mentioned before cause now you will have to lower ur stock(43psi) pressure cause of the walbro.

if you dont have a wideband i can come up with mine so that we can tune it…i hope u got sr injectors in there too…

feel free to call me im up late
Elon

have u checked if timing is where it should be?

The most common problem related to you description is the Cam sensor. This happens to a lot of cars. Without the Cam sensor signal, the computer will rely on the Crank sensor and still run, as long as there is throttle input. Basically what’s happening with your situation.

This may or may not be your problem, but sometimes you got to go back to the basics.

Once its running properly, then you can check out the rich condition.

This might help renegade. Where is the cam sensor on the KA? I was told by my buddy that its a red plug. ??? I don’t think so. I see a red plug but its in the coolant housing on the intake. This cant be right can it?

if the cam sensor doesnt help i suggest getting a scope and checking all your electronics. could be one of many problems

i’m pretty sure its part of your distributor assembly.

also check the main ground…it comes outa the main fuse panel in the egine bay(on the pass side) if it doesnt have a good ground the ecu doesnt get a strong enough signal and it for run for shit.

Update guys…
It turned out to be a bad ECU. A new one was installed and the FPR is underway to be adjustalbe. Took the car out today and it is a … ROCKET!!! Running a bit rich on the high but the torque is finominal. All over the RPM it has crazy response. I think 250chp might get beat by a bit. Car will be dyno’d in a few days. Will let you know results. Now time to buy a camera to show all!! Special thanks goes out to Elon (DA 1) for your info and support and generosity towards my build. I will get you up here or come to you with the car in a few days for the fuel tuning. Thanks again bro!!

i saw you at wildwing the other day. lol

Were you in there when I was? LOL. Were you the guy looking at me when I was smoking , sitting in my car?

oh man… good to know that the beast is ready for action,i have a good feeling about this car, it will do well on the circuit.great build man you did it just as i would have done it

have fun

Excellent :slight_smile: hehe, I love built KAs :slight_smile:

i left just before you got there i think.

i payed, ran over to fabric land, then when i came back you were there.

i saw you at timhortons the same night too lol. i swear im not stalking you.