G/f havin employer troubles v. Letter of recommendation.

right… but…

this is not the time to be messing with employers. perfect reason for them to FIND a reason to let your gf go. AND it sounds like its a good position for her career… I personally wouldn’t navigate those waters if I were her.

btw… i tend to know a thing or two about graduate programs… for a number of reasons… have her contact admissions to see if there was another option… explain her situation… if your GF’s job is so great, they probabley alreayd know the companies policy and will have another solution waiting…

The job kind of sucks actually. And the company is apparently not well known for their administrative attributes. The schools are also out of state, and wouldn’t know the company at all.

I mean if all else fails, the letter from her past employer SHOULD hopefully do it. But this would be a nice addition, and it’s also the principle of the matter.

Paulo, just suggest to her to ask to meet with one of the big wigs. I’m willing to bet that they’ll give an ok for her, especially since it sounds like she’s a model employee.

I’d even put money on it

try calling the letter something different, like a peir review?

Me too. I told her to do this, so we’ll see what happens.

No go. The school needs it to be a Letter or Rec, from a superior, at a place of business.

Nudes?

Use your imagination, you met her. lol

What she should do is say to her supervisor, “I understand that as a matter of policy you can’t write me a letter of recommendation as my supervisor. Do you think that you would be able to write me a personal letter of recommendation on something other than company letterhead?”

Then put it on company letterhead.

Don’t worry, I have. :pedo:

:lol: I don’t remember which one was yours. :shrug:

Sounds like it’s going to be tough. I’d stretch the rules. Get a personal letter from someone who works there and submit that in place of a letter from the company. Then make sure all the other application materials are up to snuff. Maybe explain in the application that her company refuses to provide letters. That should work. They look at such a combination of things that something like that shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

Yeah I can’t really see how this would be what keeps her out of the school she wants. She had a 3.7GPA at Canisius…

Again, it’s kind of the principle at this point. She’s pretty upset that they would do this after she’s been such a good employee. Plus if she can get them to straighten out the retards in HR so that they actually understand their own policies, then it won’t happen to anyone else.

She shouldn’t take it personally. There’s a certain amount of liability that goes along with making recommendations. Given how many suck-ass lawyers there are out there, some companies just don’t want to take that risk. Also thanks to how many suck-ass lawyers there are out there, a lot of HR employees aren’t willing to use their heads for anything but hat racks. It sucks.

Why does she need one from work? Ask professors that she has good relationships with

What school is mandating a professional reference? Just curious so I can help out some more

As far as I know, most graduate schools do this. This isn’t for undergrad apps. UNC is one of them. she is applying to 8 or 9 IIRC.

I never had one grad school ask me for a professional reference that is why I was curious what field she is in or what kind of program she is trying to get into. All the schools I applied for gave the option for employer rec’s but preferred professor rec’s in the related field that was familiar with ones work

Her best bet is to simply contact all the schools she is applying for and see what they recommend her to do because as others have said she is def not the first to run into this problem

how has no one mentioned that she should have resorted to blowing her boss a long time ago

Yea I wasn’t sure about it either until I saw the requirements. Most, if not, all of the schools she is applying for require three Letters of Rec. 1 from her undergrad school, 1 personal, 1 professional. :gotme:

Woman boss. Women in HR. That was my first thought. lol

A+ reply sir.

A fucking PLUS.

edit: any gays?